Frequently Asked Questions

Do you accept AP credits? What about dual-enrollment credits?

As long as you receive a 4 or a 5 on your AP exams, you’ll receive college credit for that class. For a list of AP courses we currently accept, click here. We accept dual-enrollment credits as long as you have taken the course at a regionally accredited college or university and receive a C- or higher in the class.

If I’ve taken a language in high school, do I still need to take a language course at Rollins?

Yes, you’ll still need to take a language course as part of your RFLA courses. If you developed your skills in high school, your can take a placement test to determine your level of language study. There are some exemptions for the lanugage requirement, including if you receive a 4 or a 5 on an AP language exam, or a 6 or 7 on an IB exam. Certain TOEFL scores will exempt you if you’re an international student.

What’s the average class size at Rollins?

Our average class size is 17 students.

When can I declare my major?

Even if you know what you’d like to study, we think it’s good for new students to acclimate to college and explore their options before settling on a major. You can declare your major beginning in your second year. Your faculty advisor will help you through the process.

Can I major in more than one thing?

Yes, and many Rollins students do double major. We also offer an extensive list of minors, so you can focus your studies on the things that excite you.

Can I minor in more than one thing?

Yes, you can declare more than one minor. Your faculty advisor will be able to help you figure out what’s feasible.

Do I have to declare a minor to graduate?

No, minors are optional enrichments.

How can I be considered for the honors program?

All first-year students are considered for the honors program as part of the application process. A faculty committee reviews every application and invites students to participate in the honors program based on high academic achievement and writing skills.

Will I be able to study abroad?

Yes. More than 75 percent of our student body studies abroad at some point during their time at Rollins, and we offer more than 60 programs ranging from short field studies to semester-length opportunities. Any Rollins student can study abroad any semester, and we even offer a program specifically designed for first-year students to study abroad before they even set foot on campus.

What research opportunities are available to undergraduates?

Yes, we do. Our most popular is our Student-Faculty Collaborative Scholarship Program, which offers undergraduate students the opportunity to participate in high-level scholarly research that is typically only available at the graduate-school level.

What pre-professional programs do you offer?

We offer programs in pre-health, pre-law, and pre-engineering to help prepare students who want to apply to graduate programs in each of those competitive fields. We also offer the 3/2 Accelerated Management Program (AMP), which allows students to get a combined bachelor’s degree and MBA in just five years.

What are some of your most popular majors?

Our business programs are quite popular, as well as sciences like biology, chemistry, psychology, and marine biology. Communication Studies is popular because it applies to many fields, but all of our majors are interdisciplinary and touch on a variety of industries.

Do you require student to take summer courses?

Outside of study abroad programs and student-faculty collaboration opportunities, Rollins doesn’t offer traditional summer semesters. We see summers as a time to go out into the world and apply everything you’ve learned during the school year, and many of our students spend their summer volunteering or gaining hands-on experience through internships.