Section Menu

Rollins Foundations in the Liberal Arts

Faculty Resources

Curriculum and Curricular Requirements

The pillars of a Rollins education: 

A Rollins College education

The pillars of a Rollins education: focused study in a major & building competencies through Foundations courses.  Empowering students to make connections across perspectives and to anticipate an increasingly global future.

Canvas for Faculty Teaching in rFLA

The following Canvas Page has been set up for all faculty teaching in the rFLA program.


Frequently Asked Questions about rFLA 1

How many Foundations Seminars will I take?

5 courses: one 100 level, three at the 200 level, and one 300 level practicum

What’s the disciplinary requirement?

Students need to take a course in each of the following academic disciplines: Arts (A), Social Sciences (C), Sciences (S), and Humanities (H). 

The rFLA curriculum is both developmental—meaning the courses are designed to be taken in numerical order—and integrative. In your major, you’ll go deep into a single field of study, but we also want you to have breadth across different methods of solving problems and gaining knowledge. In addition to taking classes from different disciplines, you’ll also work to integrate these different approaches to understand how they might be used together to tackle a global challenge.

How do I know if a class is an rFLA class? How can I tell what divisions I’ve fulfilled?

The class listing on the Course Schedule published by Student Records includes a wealth of information about these courses. They are listed under the “rFLA” heading. The course title and number might read: rFLA 200A. That means it is a Foundations Seminar at the 200 level, and counts for the expressive arts divisional requirement. Your DegreeWorks will also keep track of these requirements and you should discuss your progress with your faculty advisor regularly.

Can I count an rFLA class toward my major?

Yes. But only one.  Please consult with your faculty advisor or the department chair in your major department to be sure that your DegreeWorks accurately counts this course in both the major and the rFLA program.

Can I take two rFLA classes in one semester?

Yes. After your 100 level class.

What do I need to do before I can register for 300?

In addition to completing your 100 and 200 level classes, you also need to complete your mathematical thinking and written competency courses before you enroll in 300. We strongly encourage you to complete your foreign language competency before 300, but you may take both courses in one semester if necessary. 

We do want to strongly encourage all 200s before 300s so students have all 4 disc POVs before the interdisciplinary capstone.

Can I take a Foundations Seminar outside of Rollins?

Transfer courses from regionally accredited institutions may be approved for rFLA credit by the Director of RFLA.

Questions:  contact Lucy Littler, 407-646-2502;