Section Menu

Office of the Registrar

Parent FAQs

May I access my child’s student records?

FERPA grants parents and eligible students access to view and request amendment to educational records, and consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information. Parents receive these rights when the students are dependents, as defined in section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986. When the student(s) becomes age 18 and older and is no longer claimed as a dependent, the student is considered an “eligible student” and all rights under FERPA transfer to the student. Eligible students must notify the appropriate registrar at the College if they wish to provide consent for parents to access their educational record.


May I view my child’s grades, exams, or academic progress?

Any grades (e.g., assignment, exam, final) and other academic progress information are examples of confidential information that are contained in the student’s educational record. This information is protected under FERPA, and, therefore, parent(s)/guardian(s) of an eligible student are not granted access to it unless the student has submitted prior written authorization.

What happens in crisis or emergency situations?

Under FERPA, an institution is permitted to disclose non-directory information that is necessary to resolve a crisis or emergency situation and/or in order to protect the health/safety of student(s)/individual(s).

Back to top

Who should I contact with questions or concerns?

Student records:        

Student financial aid records:

Student financial records:

Back to top

Click here to access Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding FERPA.