Section Menu

Community Standards & Responsibility

Frequently Asked Questions

These frequently asked questions address many of the questions we have received from students. Please contact us if you have a question that is not answered below or if you would like additional information.

I received an email from CSR. What should I do? You should follow the instructions in your letter.  If your letter instructs you to schedule an administrative hearing, please call the Office of Community Standards and Responsibility at 407-691-1790 by the date in your letter. 

Will my parents find out? We encourage you to discuss this incident with your parents.  If you are found responsible for violating either the alcohol policy or the illegal substances policy and are under the age of 21, we will send an email to your parents notifying them that you were found responsible for violating College policy.  We will speak with your parents regarding a violation of College policy if you have signed a release giving us permission to share information with your parents.

Will information about my violation be noted on my transcript? Suspension or expulsion are noted on the student's transcript.  All other decisions are not noted on the transcript, but will be maintained as a part of the student's educational record.  The educational record is confidential under the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA).  The College will not release or permit access to educational records except as otherwise permitted by FERPA. The educational record may be accessed by the student, or other individuals with the student's authorization, or in response to a court order. The educational record may also be shared with other members of the academic community with a legitimate need to know.

I need to submit my academic and/or conduct records to an employer or another institution. How do I go about doing that? You may call email to get this process started. We ask that you allow the College 10 business days to process these requests as it may need to go through several offices depending on the form and what is asked.

I was arrested off campus. Why I am also being charged with allegedly violating College policy if the incident occurred off campus? The Code of Community Standards applies to students both on and off campus; therefore, we have the ability to hold students accountable for their behavior off campus.  The Office of Community Standards and Responsibility receives police reports involving Rollins College students from the Winter Park Police Department. 

I have a hold on my account for not completing my sanctions. What should I do? In order to have the hold removed from your account, you need to complete the assigned sanctions.  If you have a question about your sanctions or need information about your sanctions, please call the Office of Community Standards and Responsibility at (407) 691-1790.

What if I'm not happy with the outcome of my hearing? You have the right to appeal the decision. You need to complete the Appeal Request Form and submit both the form and your written appeal to the Office of Community Standards and Responsibility by the appeal deadline in your decision letter.

What is an advisor? The role of the advisor is to provide support to you during the hearing process.  You can choose who you would like to have as your advisor.  Most students choose to have their academic advisor, peer mentor or parent as an advisor. Your advisor will be present during the hearing; however they cannot speak on your behalf.  Individuals that are serving as witnesses cannot serve as your advisor. Learn more about the role of the advisor 

How do you determine sanctions? Several factors are considered when determining sanctions including a student’s prior judicial history, the severity of the incident, the student’s willingness to accept responsibility for their actions, and College precedent for the violation. Sanctions are designed to be educational in nature and are tailored to the individual students. Learn more about sanctions

I want to go to graduate school (or medical school, law school, etc).  Will potential schools find out about my violation(s)? Most schools will ask about violations of the Code of Conduct on the application for admission. We always encourage students to answer this question honestly. Students who have been found responsible for violations of College policy can request that the Program Dean expunge minor judicial incidents from their record. More information about this can be found in The Code of Community Standards.

What happens if I don’t attend my hearing? We encourage you to attend your hearing so you have the opportunity to share your side of the story. If you choose not to attend your hearing, the hearing will be held in absentia and a decision will be made based on the available information (typically the incident report).