Section Menu

Wellness Center

For Parents

Common Questions

Appointments and Confidentiality

Can family members make appointments for students?
We highly recommend that students schedule their appointments through our self-scheduling system. 

Does the Wellness Center have walk-in appointments?
A counselor is available to assist with mental health emergencies on a walk-in basis while the Center is open.  Other services are provided by appointment only.

What should students do if they need attention after hours or during the weekend?
In case of a mental health emergency, call 911 or call 988 to the Suicide Prevention Lifeline, or text HOME to 741741. Also, call our 24/7 Rollins Mental Health Helpline at 407-646-1516.

For non-emergency care, check our list of local providers that include 24-hour walk-in clinics.  

In case of a life-threatening or medical emergency, call 911.  

How can family members obtain information about their student’s care at the Wellness Center?
The relationship between a student and the Wellness Center is confidential.  For more information on confidentiality, click the Making a Referral tab on this page.  Students can complete a written authorization in person at the Wellness Center to release information about their care. Also, can call our 24/7 Rollins Mental Health Helpline at 407-646-1516.  

Physical Wellness and Health Services

Does the Wellness Center have a doctor available?
Medical care at the Wellness Center is provided by advanced registered nurse practitioners, who can diagnose and treat the most common physical health problems, prescribe medications, and make referrals to medical specialists.

Does the Wellness Center provide a note in case a student misses a class?
The Wellness Center does not issue excuses for missed classes.  However, during their appointment, students can request a note stating that they were seen at Health Services.  Students can check their course syllabi for specific attendance policies set by their professors.  See our Overview page for more information.

Where can parents find more resources on substance use and abuse?
We recommend parents read through the following guides (available in English and Spanish) for more resources on substance use and abuse:

Emotional Wellness and Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)

What can family members do if they are concerned about their student’s emotional well-being?
CAPS counselors are available by phone and in person to consult with family, friends, faculty, and staff on how to make a referral to CAPS or another mental health provider.  Click the Making a Referral tab on this page for more information.

How can students get involved with CAPS groups and workshops?
The Wellness Center offers groups and workshops in a variety of formats to enhance well-being and/or assist students with specific mental health concerns.

Can students get accommodations, such as more time on assignments and tests, from their counselor?
The Office of Accessibility Services is the student’s primary point of contact for accommodations.  With a release of information signed by the student, CAPS counselors can provide written confirmation that a student is under their care for a specific condition.

Making a Referral

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) at the Wellness Center recognizes that the college years are transitional years not just for students but also for their parents and family members. This transition, while an exciting and eventful time in each person's life, might create stress and unwelcome challenges. Below are a few resources that may prove helpful.

Supporting your Student

As your student moves through their college years, you will inevitably witness physical, emotional, intellectual, social and even spiritual changes. Although sometimes difficult to understand or appreciate, these developmental changes are part and parcel of the movement into adulthood. In many instances, a young person requires assistance in understanding or working through these life changes. During the college years, the entire family goes through a transitional period. Counselors at the Wellness Center can be of help.

Consultation with Parents/Family Members

Knowing how or when to intervene when your student is experiencing distress is a difficult decision. You are welcome to call the Wellness Center for guidance on ways to assist your student. Depending on the situation, our front desk staff will connect you with a counselor immediately or will have a counselor return your call as soon as possible. Check out our counseling page for more information on our mental health consultation and referral services.  It is important to remember that professional counselors are ethically and legally bound by confidentiality laws and cannot reveal information to you without appropriate releases having been signed by the student.

Confidentiality and Parents/Family Members

While we welcome questions from parents/family members, we cannot share information unless appropriate releases have been signed. We appreciate the fact that parents often worry about their students who are away at college and want to know how counseling is progressing. However, in order for counseling to be effective, student clients must have confidence that unless they themselves choose otherwise, what they talk about in session will be held in confidence. There are some exceptions. Please see the Confidentiality section of our overview page for more information. If you believe that it is important to talk with your student's counselor, please ask your student if they are willing to sign a release permitting the counselor to consult with you. You may also ask to talk with another member of our counseling staff in order to convey information to your student's counselor.

Books for Parents/Family Members

• Letting Go: A Parent's Guide to Understanding the College Years, by Karen Levin Coburn and Madge Lawrence Treegar
• Don't Tell Me What to Do, Just Send Money: The Essential Parenting Guide to the College Years, by Helen E. Johnson, Christine Schelhas-Miller
• Let the Journey Begin: A Parent's Monthly Guide to the College Experience, by Jacqueline Kiernan MacKay
• When Kids Go to College: A Parent's Guide to Changing Relationships, by Barbara M. Newman and Philip Newman
• You're on Your Own (But I'm Here if You Need Me): Mentoring Your Child During the College Years, by Marjorie Savage

Support After a Crisis

A family member or other loved one has been through a difficult experience.  Below are several suggestions for offering support and comfort during a trying time.

Listen, listen, listen

One of the most important needs after a critical incident is to talk about the event. It may be difficult for you to hear about, or you may get tired of hearing the same story, but talking can be a crucial part of your loved one’s recovery. Be supportive and sympathetic. Try to avoid overreacting or pushing your loved one to talk. Your loved one needs to tell their story, not to be upset by your reaction. If your loved one tries to shield you from the event by refusing to talk about it, you obviously can’t force them to talk. But you can encourage openness and listen to whatever else the person wants to say. Keep in mind that your loved one may not be ready to talk at this point, but let them know that you’re there to support them in any way they might need.

Encourage your loved one to maintain their routine

After a crisis, emotions can run high. It’s easy to rush into an impulsive decision, such as leaving school, dropping courses, or ending relationships. While it may be difficult for your loved one to face their daily routine or everyday tasks, this may actually be the best way to recover from the crisis. Structure and the company of others can provide predictability, comfort, and security.

Include your friends, family, and the Rollins community in the healing process

Rely on your support system. Remember to utilize various avenues of support. Your loved one may be concerned about burdening others by reaching out, but company might be the exact type of support they need. Help them research the resources available to them at Rollins, and refer them to resources such as the Wellness Center or Dean of Students Office.

Take care of yourself

You have your own responsibilities, and now you may also feel responsible for keeping your loved one from feeling too much strain. While it’s important to be supportive, you also need some support yourself. Ask friends or family members for help, and don’t be afraid to seek counseling for yourself. Remember to take care of basics, such as eating nutritious meals, sleeping well, and engaging in physical activity.

Enjoy the little things

Take time out for you and your friends to enjoy the little things in life, such as a walk outdoors, spending time with a pet, or grabbing a bite to eat with a friend. Appreciating the little things won’t make the pain go away, but it can help in the healing process. While it may be difficult to enjoy yourself at a time like this, it’s important to strengthen your bond with the people you love and who care about you.

Health Insurance

All full-time undergraduate students are highly encouraged to be covered by a comprehensive insurance plan. Please be aware that some insurance companies do not cover out of network (out of state) expenditures. Most specialists in Florida do not accept out-of-state insurance as payment and may require payment at the time services are rendered. It will become the insured's responsibility to file for reimbursement.

Wellness Center office visits are free of charge. Charges are incurred for certain physical exams, laboratory testing, immunizations, etc. These charges can be paid with cash, check, or be billed on the student's Rollins card (R-Card). The student receives a walkout statement to file with insurance and any insurance reimbursement goes directly to the insured.

Click here for more information on insurance providers for the state of Florida from

Click here to visit Blue Cross Blue Shield of Florida for more information on Florida Blue Insurance. 

Click here for insurance resources for students studying abroad from the Office of International Programs.