Section Menu

Residential Life & Explorations

Frequently Asked Questions

The Office of Residential Life & Explorations works closely with our students and families. We receive hundreds of calls on the office hotline (407.646.2354) and emails from students and families every year. We've collected many of the most frequently asked questions here for your convenience.


How do I get classes for my first semester?

Now that you’ve decided to come to Rollins, you’re probably be wondering “How do I select my classes for the fall?” That’s a good question, and the answer is different for transfer and new (first-year) students, but both groups will access all necessary forms through Foxlink.

Transfers register with the assistance of a full-time transfer advisor from the office of the registrar. They will be in touch with you via email soon after your deposit to help walk you through the process of registering and declaring a major/minor. 

First-year students complete the Course Preference Form (CPF) through their Foxlink accounts. The CPF gathers information about your academic history and interests, which we turn over to a specially-trained group of faculty and staff. They, in turn, will then use this information to custom-build your schedule based on your academic interests, AP/IB/dual enrollment credits, and the general education curriculum. 

How many hours are typical for the first semester? What types of classes should I expect?

Most students will take between 16-18 credits in their first semester. Rollins requires 140 credits to graduate. A typical first-semester schedule will include a Rollins College Conference (RCC), at least one course that meets a general education competency requirement, and some exploratory classes.

Can I make changes to my schedule?

First-year and transfer students can make changes to their schedules (as long as the desired course is available) by contacting the office of the Registrar. Please note that the only class you will not be able to change is your RCC course.

Who will be my academic advisor? How can I contact him or her?

During your first semester, and until you declare a major, your RCC faculty member will serve as your faculty academic advisor. You will meet with this advisor during Fall or Spring Orientation, and be able to make changes to your schedule at that time. In the meantime, if you have questions about the curriculum or your schedule, contact us and we’ll be able to provide answers or connect you to our professional advising staff.

When and how do I declare a major or minor?

You should feel no pressure to declare a major when you arrive at Rollins. In fact, Rollins doesn’t require you to declare a major until the end of your second year. Once you decide on a major, you can declare that major through your Foxlink portal.

How do I receive credit for AP/IB test scores or transfer credit?

To receive credit for AP or IB test scores or transfer credit, the testing agency or transfer institution will need to send a copy of your records to the office of the Registrar at:

1000 Holt Avenue - 2713
Winter Park, FL 32789
Main: 407-646-2144
FAX: 407-646-1576

Note that for test scores, the records need to come directly from the IB or AP test center, not a high school. For questions, contact the Registrar at

What is an RCC? Do I have to take one? Does it have to relate to my major?

All first-year and transfer students take a Rollins College Conference, or RCC, in their first semester at the College. RCCs are designed to be exploratory courses, and you shouldn’t worry about taking an RCC that relates to your intended major. For more information, please refer to the Course Registration page.

What is a Peer Mentor?

Peer Mentors are socially and academically successful second, third, and fourth-year students who help incoming students adjust to life at Rollins. Peer Mentors take an RCC along with first-year and transfer students and plan a series of events to help new students make connections to the campus and each other. In addition to the RCC course, Peer Mentors also receive extensive training over the summer and additional support during the fall semester.

How will I know what books I will need, and what is the best way to purchase them?

Once your schedule has been set, you’ll be able to find the required books listed in your Foxlink account (you may want to wait until after Orientation, and any schedule changes, to access this information). All of your books will be available at the Rollins bookstore, and you can purchase them during Orientation.

How many times do students typically change their majors?

It varies from student to student, but most students will change their major at least one time, with many switching 3 or more times. This is perfectly normal and happens as students explore classes in different disciplines and develop more insight into their areas of interest.

How do the Pre-Med and Pre-Law programs work?

At Rollins, Pre-Health and Pre-Law students can major in any of our offered disciplines and are guided through a pre-professional “track” by expert faculty members. This process gives students the ability to study in a field that interests them and simultaneously prepare for entrance and success in a graduate program of their choice.

For more information about the Pre-Health Professions Advising Program, please see their website:

For more information regarding Pre-Law, refer to the Rollins College Center for Pre-Law Advising:

How can I find out my student’s grades?

The easiest way for parents to review their students’ grades is to ask their students! Under FERPA guidelines, the College can release academic or social records to persons other than the student only if the student has written permission on file with Rollins or is under 18. Having a conversation about what information parents can access is a great way for families to clarify expectations and help students and families take shared responsibility for Explorations.

What is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99) is a Federal law that protects the privacy of student education records. The law applies to all schools that receive funds under an applicable program of the U.S. Department of Education.

FERPA gives parents certain rights with respect to their children's education records. These rights transfer to the student when he or she reaches the age of 18 or attends a school beyond the high school level. Students to whom the rights have transferred are "eligible students."

FERPA stipulates that

  • Parents or eligible students have the right to inspect and review the student's education records maintained by the school.
  • Parents or eligible students have the right to request that a school correct records which they believe to be inaccurate or misleading.
  • Generally, schools must have written permission from the parent or eligible student in order to release any information from a student's education record.

(Information is taken from the US Department of Education website—for more information, see

Getting Involved

What’s the best way to find out about clubs and organizations?

The Center for Inclusion and Campus Involvement (CICI) is a team of full-time professionals, graduate assistants, and student staff who are dedicated to improving the quality of life on campus through student involvement and leadership opportunities.

The office oversees the student organizations, major campus events, student government, campus media, leadership initiatives, and campus programs.

GET INVOLVED! is the website to look at to find out about all of the different clubs and organizations.

You’ll also be able to meet with many of the student organizations during the Find Your Anchor event during the first two weeks of school—be sure to ask your Peer Mentors to bring your class!

I’m interested in joining a fraternity or sorority. Where can I find more information?

Here is the website to find out more:

How many clubs does Rollins currently have?

Rollins College supports more than 100 student organizations! Our programs are aimed at creating innovative learning environments from within and outside of the classroom, aiding the transition to college and beyond.

Our goal is to provide the proper tools and resources to students interested in joining an organization. If you have any questions, please e-mail us at

What are pre-matriculation field studies?

Rollins College is excited to offer special field study opportunities for first-year students. We know that many incoming first-years are already looking forward to opportunities to travel and study abroad. Our international experiential learning courses are designed specifically for first-year students and are led by experienced faculty. We aim to provide the first-year students who participate in these courses a chance to connect with a Rollins professor off-campus and to develop connections with their classmates--fellow travelers and fellow first-year students. We hope that these field study courses spark a lifelong interest in travel and intercultural learning.

How can I play varsity or intramural sports?

In order to play varsity sports, you must contact the specific coach from the sport you want to play and find out if you are eligible to participate.

In order to play intramural sports, you can contact Nathan Arrowsmith, who is in charge of intramurals. He will be able to provide with all the intramural information you may need. The Rollins College Intramural Sports Program provides organized athletic activity for the Rollins Community. Our goal is to offer every individual the opportunity to participate. Only a desire to compete and have fun is necessary. Participation in any intramural activity or event is purely voluntary and individuals participate at their own risk. 

If you go to you can find information about all sports and intramurals at the college.


What is Orientation?

Orientation involves a weekend of activities to help you transition to campus. You will move into your residence hall, meet your RA, participate in campus traditions such as Convocation and Candlewish, meet your Peer Mentors and your RCC faculty, participate in SPARC day, and more. It is really an opportunity for you to begin your life here at Rollins for the next four years. It is also a chance for us to really welcome you!

Orientation is designed to be fun and help you adjust to a new school and new friends. It is almost 100% student created and run, which means that students have identified what was important to them and what the new student experience should be like.

Can I move in early?

Only athletes who play specific fall sports and international students can move-in early. Please contact our office if you have questions about early move-in.

Are there activities for families during orientation programs?

We plan family activities for the first and second day of Welcome Week: Fall Orientation. There is a shorter, one day program for parents during Welcome Week: Spring Orientation.

Where can families and friends stay during orientation programs?

The Alfond Inn
A Rollins-owned boutique hotel, The Alfond Inn is located within walking distance of both campus and downtown Winter Park. Profits from The Alfond Inn are directed to the Alfond Scholars program. 

300 East New England Ave., Winter Park
(5-minute walk to campus)
T. 407.998.8090

Click here to see more local hotels: Local Hotels 

Can I ship packages to my student before Orientation begins?

Yes. Items can be sent to the following address within 3 business days of move-in
Student Name- Box # 
Rollins College
1000 Holt Avenue  
Winter Park, FL 32789  

Your box number is available on FoxLink. Your packages will be at the warehouse when you arrive at campus.


What is the weather like in Winter Park?

In a word-beautiful. We get warm weather all year-round, with highs ranging from the low seventies to the low nineties. Most days are sunny, but we do get quite a bit of rain in June, July, and August, mostly in the form of afternoon showers.

How does parking on campus work for new students?

Parking privileges are handled by Rollins Campus Safety and Security, and parking decals can be purchased from that office during Fall and Spring Orientations. Generally, first-year students are not permitted to keep cars on campus, with a few exceptions, including membership in a varsity sports team that practices off-campus, a demonstrated need to travel for a job or medical purposes, or enrollment in the Honors program. If you have questions about parking regulations, visit the Campus Safety website at or call the office at 407.646.2999.

I don’t have a car. What’s the best way to get around?

If you don’t have a car, don’t worry—Winter Park offers many great dining and shopping opportunities within walking distance of campus! Biking is also a great way to get around town, and the Olin Library will loan bikes to students for three-day periods.

 Also, the Center for Inclusion & Campus Involvement (CICI) provides a shuttle to Winter Park Village on Friday evenings. The shuttle runs to and from campus until midnight and gives students access to Winter Park Village’s grocery store, movie theatre, and restaurants and shops.

Rollins is a small, close-knit community, so most new students will quickly make at least one friend with someone with a car. If you need to travel outside of Winter Park, you will be able to ask one of those friends or your Peer Mentors for a ride.


When should I start checking my Rollins email address? Can I forward my Rollins emails to a personal account? 

You should start checking your Rollins email account regularly as soon as you get access to that account. Several campus offices, including Residential Life & Explorations and the Student Account Services, will send important information to you over the summer and will be using your Rollins address. Our IT department recommends that you DO NOT forward your Rollins emails to another account, as this greatly increases the chances of having the email caught in your spam or junk mail folder.

What is Foxlink?

FoxLink is an online collection of resources for Rollins faculty, staff, and students. Foxlink allows Rollins affiliates to more efficiently monitor many of the administrative aspects of their accounts. FoxLink accounts are automatically created for members of the Rollins College community upon payment of the Admissions deposit. Incoming students will complete all of their summer paperwork using the Foxlink system. A few of the other resources and capabilities available through FoxLink are:

  • Checking and printing of class schedules
  • Viewing and printing of term grades and academic transcripts
  • Monitoring financial aid and student payment accounts
  • Access to course resources such as the message board

My Foxlink or email account is not working.

Uh oh! In rare cases, the computer system that creates student accounts will make an error, preventing a student from logging in. If this happens to you, please email or call RLE at or 407.646.2354 so that we can assist you.

Housing & Meal Plans

How do I get assigned housing?

All incoming students should complete the My Housing application through their Explorations Checklist in Foxlink. Once you’ve entered the My Housing site, select and complete either the incoming first-year or incoming transfer questionnaire. Students who do not plan to live on campus should complete the housing exemption form, which can be accessed through the My Housing link. Housing assignments are typically made for fall in late July and spring in January and will be visible on Foxlink as soon as they are finalized.

How big are the rooms? Can I loft my bed? What should I bring/not bring?

Due to the unique nature of our facilities, we do not have a standard room size. Below, however, is a listing of the typical room size.








13 X 17


9 X 16


16 X 17



9 x 14






17 x 12


8 x 16


11 x 25

Rex Beach 



15 x 12


8 x 10

Rooms are furnished with a dresser, closet or wardrobe, bed, desk and desk chair for each assigned occupant and a trash can and recycling bin for each room. 

Mattresses, for student comfort, are extra-long twins, measuring 80"x 36". Yes, you can loft your bed.

Do I need to live on campus?

Starting with the entering Rollins Fall 2019 class, Rollins College will have a 3 year live-on housing requirement. Any students previously enrolled prior to Fall 2019 will be grandfathered into the previous 2 year live-on requirement.

All full-time College of Liberal Arts students are required to live on campus for 3 years (six semesters). All CLA students must submit a housing exemption application through their Fox Link account and additional documentation will be requested before approval is granted. Exceptions are made for students who meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Students who are married
  • Students who have dependents
  • Students seeking a degree after serving in the military
  • Transfer students that have completed 2 full years or 60 credits at another college/university
  • Non-degree seeking students or 2nddegree seeking students
  • Students who have children or dependents
  • Students that reside with their parent or legal guardian within a 50-mile commutable radius of the campus. In order to be approved for commuter status, students must submit a housing exemption application and provide a notarized letter from parent/guardian stating that the student will be living at home. The notarized letter should include the home address and a copy of the parent/guardian's driver's license with matching address. 

I’m planning to live off-campus. Do I still need to complete a housing application on my Foxlink?

Yes, you still need to login into Foxlink and fill out the housing exemption form.

When do housing assignments happen?

To ensure the best possible roommate pairings, incoming students for the fall semester will receive their assignments and roommate information toward the end of July. Spring semester incoming students will typically receive information approximately a week prior to the residence halls opening for the spring semester.

Meal Plans

Residential students (except Sutton and Lakeside residents) are required to purchase a Board Plan. The Dining Plan selection process will take place after you have received your housing assignment in July. Meal Plan rates for this academic year are here for your convenience.