Section Menu

Office of the Registrar

Transfer Credit

Hamilton Holt School Transfer & Other Credit

The following transfer credit policies apply to students enrolled in undergraduate bachelor’s degree programs administered by the Hamilton Holt School at Rollins College. Students who wish to transfer to one of the other divisions in the College will be subject to the transfer policies of that division.


General Policies


Transfer credit is applied to a student’s Rollins transcript once the student has registered for his/her first term of classes and provided official transcripts.

International students must first have their transcripts evaluated/translated by an external evaluator. The college strongly recommends WES for foreign credential evaluations.

All official transcripts must be received prior to registering for the second semester. A registration hold will be placed on the student’s record until the required transcript is received.

Semester Hours

The standard Holt School course is defined as four semester hours. In the evaluation of transfer credit, four (4) semester hours equals one Rollins course.

Credit is transferred at the rate earned at the previous institution.

Grade Requirements

Transfer credit is not awarded for courses with a grade below “C-.” All transfer courses must be officially letter-graded by the originating institution, with the exception of internships which may be graded Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit

A student’s previous grade-point-average (GPA) does not carry forward; a Rollins GPA is determined only on the basis of courses completed at Rollins.

Class Standing

For those who do not enter with a AA degree from a Florida state college, class standing is determined by the total number of transfer credits awarded by Rollins College. Students with sixty (60) semester hours of transfer credit enter Rollins College with junior standing, but may need additional credits to fulfill degree requirements.

Articulation Agreement

Rollins College participates in an articulation agreement between the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida (ICUF) and the Division of Florida Colleges. Through this participation, students who enter Rollins with a completed Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida community college matriculate with junior standing and are usually able to transfer a total of sixty (60) semester hours, provided that they meet the same standards and program requirements as native Rollins students. Please see “Courses Receiving No Credit” for information on transfer restrictions that may result in less than 60 hours of eligible transfer credit.

As part of the College's participation in the ICUF Articulation Agreement, students with the A.A. degree from a Florida state are considered to have met general education requirements.

Students transferring under the articulation agreement may enter with the catalog year in effective at the time of the student’s initial enrollment in the Florida College System institution, provided the student maintains continuous enrollment, receives an AA degree, and transfers to Rollins within four years on initial enrollment. The student may also elect a new catalog year.

Students entering under the articulation agreement are subject to institutional requirements for additional courses outside of their chosen major.

Applying Transfer Credit

The Hamilton Holt School reviews and evaluates courses taken at other institutions, determines courses/credit to be accepted, and prepares a Transfer Course Evaluation. The evaluation lists all courses accepted and any requirements those courses fulfill. The major department makes decisions regarding fulfillment of major requirements through transfer credit.

If students are enrolled in more than one major or minor, they may double count no more than half the number of courses in the smaller program. If the smaller program requires an odd number of courses, the students may round up. No course may be counted for more than two programs.

Credits that do not apply toward specific major, minor, general education, or institutional requirements may still be applied toward the minimum number of total elective credits required for graduation with a Bachelor’s degree.

A preliminary audit may be requested by students during the admission process, but will be subject to change based on receipt of final transcripts and successful completion of courses in progress.

Transfer Equivalency System

The Transfer Equivalency System (TES®) is available as a resource to estimate credit equivalencies. Transfer course equivalencies are subject to change.

Courses Receiving No Credit

Rollins College reserves the right to deny credit for courses that are not compatible with those offered in its baccalaureate degree programs. Some general categories of courses never receive transfer credit or, in some instances, receive credit on a restricted basis only. Examples include:
  • Remedial courses in any academic discipline
  • Repeated courses or courses with duplicate subject content
  • Coursework earned at an institution that did not hold at least candidacy status with its regional accrediting association when the coursework was taken
  • Mathematics courses considered below college level, including basic math, business math, and beginning and intermediate algebra.
  • College algebra
  • Courses offered for non-credit continuing education units
  • Courses providing instruction in English as a Second Language (100-level or above)*
  • Non-academic/vocational-technical courses.

Transfer Credit Limit

No more than the equivalent of sixty-four (64) semester hours of lower-level transfer credit are accepted. There is no restriction to the number of upper-level credit hours that may be transferred from a four-year institution.

Residency Requirement

The last 48 hours (twelve full-credit courses) for the bachelor of arts degree must be taken at Rollins College Hamilton Holt School. A minimum of one-fourth of a student’s major and minor course must be taken at Rollins. Some programs may have additional requirements.

Other Types of Credit

Students may receive advanced standing by several means. This includes but is not limited to credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and dual enrollment courses. Credit granted for any of these or by similar means does not automatically exempt a student from the general education requirements of the College. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for additional information.

Advanced Placement (AP)

  • Students are awarded four (4) semester hours of credit for each AP examination on which they earn a score of four (4) or five (5).

Advanced Placement List

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Credit for IB coursework is granted for students with an IB Diploma, on a course by course basis.

Students with an IB Diploma and a score of thirty (30) or better will be awarded one year (thirty-two [32] semester hours) of credit.

Students without the Diploma, or with the Diploma and a score of less than thirty (30), will be awarded eight (8) semester hours for each higher-level score of five (5) or better and four (4) semester hours for each score of four (4) or better (on a higher or subsidiary level), to a maximum of twenty-four (24) semester hours.

General education credit will be awarded as appropriate, to be determined by suitable bodies. Advanced placement will be awarded for major courses, subject to departmental approval. Students who present both IB and AP work in the same subject area will not be awarded double credit.

IB Policy


College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

The Holt School has established the following guidelines for awarding credit for CLEP General or Subject examinations:

A student must complete any examination, and official score results must be received prior to achieving junior status. CLEP exams must be completed and official score results received prior to the term in which a student begins his or her residency in the Holt School. CLEP General or Subject examinations will not be used to fulfill major or minor core or elective requirements. Such examinations may be used to fulfill general education (if appropriate) or general elective requirements. Students who receive a score of 65 or better on the College Composition exam receive credit and are exempt from ENG 140 only.

Students who score within the acceptable guidelines on the CLEP General or Subject examinations may receive up to the equivalent of nine courses of credit. Examinations may not duplicate course material previously covered.

CLEP credit is recorded on the student transcript as examination/lower-level transfer credit and does not satisfy residency requirements for graduation or honors.

Other Examinations

Grades of 'A' through 'C' on most British GCE A-level exams earn two-course credits, eight (8) semester hours, per examination.

American Council on Education (ACE) Credit

A maximum of eight semester hours of academic credit may be awarded for training courses in the subject areas contained in the College’s curriculum. To be considered for credit, the training course must have been evaluated and recommended for credit by the American Council on Education.