Section Menu

Office of the Registrar

Transfer Credit

Learn how to transfer advanced standing credit, Hamilton Holt School course work, and other college and university credit.

Transfer & Other College Credit

Transfer students into the College of Liberal Arts must meet all degree requirements in order to graduate from Rollins College. The Office of the Registrar reviews and evaluates courses taken at other institutions, determines courses/credit to be accepted, and prepares a Transfer Course Evaluation (TCE).

Find out which courses may transfer to Rollins!

Transfer course equivalencies are subject to change. Call 407-646-2144 for more information.

The TCE lists all courses accepted and any general education requirements those courses fulfill. The major department makes decisions regarding fulfillment of major requirements through transfer credit.

  • In the evaluation of transfer credit, four (4) semester hours equals one Rollins course.
  • Transfer credit is awarded for coursework taken at a regionally accredited institution or an equivalent international institution.
  • Transfer credit is not awarded for courses with a grade below “C-.” All transfer courses must be officially letter-graded by the originating institution, with the exception of internships which may be graded Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit if they meet the specific criteria outlined in the Educational Programs and Opportunities section of the Catalog.
  • No more than the equivalent of sixty-four (64) semester hours of credit are accepted from a two-year institution or a maximum of seventy hours (70) semester hours from a four-year institution.
  • International students must first have their transcripts evaluated/translated by an external evaluator. The college strongly recommends WES for foreign credential evaluations.

Rollins College participates in an articulation agreement between the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida (ICUF) and the Division of Florida Colleges. Through this participation, students who enter Rollins with a completed Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida community college matriculate with junior standing and are usually able to transfer a total of sixty (60) semester hours, provided that they meet the same standards and program requirements as native Rollins students.

For all transfer students accepted through the College's participation in the ICUF Articulation Agreement, transfer credit for courses completed at the community college will only be awarded for grades of “C-” or better, as is the standard for all transfer students in The College. 

Rollins College will not transfer credits obtained from a secondary institution via online, blended, or distance learning courses if a student simultaneously is enrolled in full-time courses at a different institution (including Rollins). Rollins College reserves the right to not award transfer credit for courses that are not considered appropriate for a pragmatic liberal arts education.

As part of the College's participation in the ICUF Articulation Agreement, General Education Curriculum Requirements are waived for students with the A.A. degree from a Florida community college as well. Upper-level writing reinforcement and oral communication requirements, both part of the College's general education curriculum, are infused into one or more upper-level courses within each major course of study.

A student’s previous grade-point-average (GPA) does not carry forward; a Rollins GPA is determined only on the basis of courses completed at Rollins.

Once admitted to full-time degree-seeking status in The College, students must complete at least seventy (70) semester hours in the College (including Rollins or Rollins-affiliated off-campus courses, and approved Hamilton Holt School courses).

Moreover, students must be enrolled full-time in the College of Liberal Arts (excluding Hamilton Holt School courses) during the last two (2) consecutive semesters (excluding summer terms). Students must complete a minimum of 140 semester hours of academic work, of which at least sixty-four (64) semester hours must be outside a single departmental prefix. All students must complete a minimum of sixteen (16) semester hours that are not used to meet either a general education curriculum or major requirement. If a course taken previously is repeated at Rollins, credit for the transfer course will be removed from the student's record.

Advanced Standing Credit

Students may receive advanced standing by several means. This includes but is not limited to credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and dual enrollment courses. Credit granted for any of these or by similar means does not automatically exempt a student from the general education requirements of the College. Please contact the Office of the Registrar for additional information.


Students are awarded four (4) semester hours of credit for each AP examination on which they earn a score of four (4) or five (5). Students who present scores of four (4) or five (5) on the AP English Language and Composition examination or the AP English Literature and Composition examination are exempt from satisfying the College's writing competency requirement (WCMP). Students who present scores of four (4) or five (5) on the AP Calculus AB, Calculus BC or Statistics examinations are exempt from satisfying the College's mathematical thinking competency requirement (MCMP). Students who present scores of four (4) or five (5) on any AP foreign language examination are exempt from satisfying the college’s foreign language competency requirement (FCMP).

Advanced Placement List

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Credit for IB coursework is granted for students with an IB Diploma, on a course by course basis.

Students with an IB Diploma and a score of thirty (30) or better will be awarded one year (thirty-two [32] semester hours) of credit.

Students without the Diploma, or with the Diploma and a score of less than thirty (30), will be awarded eight (8) semester hours for each higher-level score of five (5) or better and four (4) semester hours for each score of four (4) or better (on a higher or subsidiary level), to a maximum of twenty-four (24) semester hours.

General education credit will be awarded as appropriate, to be determined by suitable bodies. Advanced placement will be awarded for major courses, subject to departmental approval. Students who present both IB and AP work in the same subject area will not be awarded double credit.

IB Policy

Other Examinations

Grades of 'A' through 'C' on most British GCE A-level exams earn two-course credits, eight (8) semester hours, per examination.

CAPE Credit

Each score of one (1) or two (2) on CAPE Examinations is worth four (4) semester hours of academic credit. Credit earned through CAPE examinations does not exempt students from any of the general education curriculum requirements.

Hamilton Holt School Course

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts may register for one undergraduate course per academic year in the Hamilton Holt School on a tuition-free basis.  Holt School courses are identified by the section number 'H1' or 'H2' etc. 

(This process does not apply to sections like 'H1X' or 'H2X'. These are cross-listed courses available to both Holt and CLA students. If the course seats for CLA have filled, obtain the permission and signature of the faculty on an Add/Drop form and submit to the Office of the Registrar.)

If the Holt course is to be used for a Major or Minor requirement, the course must be pre-approved by the Major or Minor Chair and the Academic Advisor. If the course is to be used as an elective, only the Academic Advisor approval is needed.

Students interested in taking a Holt School course may obtain the registration form from the Office of the Registrar.

In an effort to ensure the availability of Holt School courses to Holt students, CLA students are registered on a space-available basis beginning on the 4th day of the term during Add/Drop Week. Students are to submit the form to the Office of the Registrar for manual registration. A maximum of five (5) CLA students may register for any given Holt course.

During summer terms, CLA students are expected to pay full tuition and fees for any Holt School courses taken.

Holt School courses have the same academic value as College of Liberal Arts courses unless an exception is made in writing. Grades earned are calculated as part of the student's grade point average. 

Students who have been academically or socially dismissed or suspended from Rollins College will not be awarded transfer credit for work undertaken at other institutions during the period of dismissal or suspension including the Hamilton Holt School (see Appeals of Academic Policies).

To review the Holt School courses, please view the Holt Class Schedule.

Summer Course Work

Students may take courses at other institutions during summer terms, including the Hamilton Holt School, although these courses do not count toward the College's residency requirements.

Students must secure approval from their academic advisor, major/minor department chair, and the Office of the Registrar regarding both the institution and specific courses prior to enrollment in another program. A Request for Permission to Study Outside of Arts and Sciences form must be used to obtain approval. Courses not pre-approved by the advisor, department chair, and the Office of the Registrar will not be accepted for transfer.

Although grades do not transfer for GPA purposes, with the exception of Rollins programs, courses must be taken for a letter grade. Academic credit is given only if a grade of 'C-' or better is earned. Students are responsible for requesting that an official transcript is sent directly to the Office of the Registrar after completing summer courses.

Transcripts should be requested to be sent to:

Office of the Registrar
1000 Holt Avenue, 2713
Winter Park, FL 32789-4499