Class News - In Memory

Edited by Amanda D'Assaro

’33 Philip Horton of New Hyde Park, New York died August 9, 2008 at 97 years old. Philip was very active as a student at Rollins, participating in many extracurricular activities such as student government, football, Kappa Alpha, R-club, the intramural athletic board, and Omicron Delta Kappa. He was born in Peekskill, New York and worked as the assistant vice president of Chase Bank until his retirement. Philip is survived by his wife of 55 years Florence and his children. A son preceded him in death.

’35 Janet Murphy Gaines died October 22, 2008.

’36 Jean Astrup Faubel Blanche died May 6, 2009. She was 95 years old. Survivors include son Gene Faubel ’64 and his wife, Marion Justice Faubel ’64.

’37 Arthur Hamilton Brownell died recently. His son J. Michael writes, “Arthur was very proud to have attended Rollins College.”

’37 Bonar Collinson died January 21, 2009.

’37 Phyllis Dorr Newell, 92, died December 5, 2007. Following her studies at Rollins, Phyllis joined the Colonial Dames of America and was active in her community, serving as choir director for the South Congregational Church, Girl Scout leader, and president of the Business and Professional Women’s Club. She and her husband, Duncan, who passed away in 1998, were married March 20, 1948 and settled in Phoenix in 1959, where Phyllis resided until her death. She is survived by her son and daughter, two sisters, two grandsons, and a step-grandson.

’39 Freling Smith died March 4, 2009.Hewas a farmer in Stephentown, New York, where he raised a family with his wife, Marilyn. The couple enjoyed 60 years of marriage before she passed away in 1998. Freling is survived by his son and daughter, six grandchildren, and many great-grandchildren.

’40 Edward Whitner, 92, died October 27, 2008. A resident at the Royal Oaks Nursing Home in Titusville, Florida, Edward was one of the oldest-living Major League Baseball players, having played for the Philadelphia Phillies and the New York Yankees. He was in the U.S. Coast Guard during World War II and joined the minor leagues as a player and manager following his service. He is survived by his son and daughter-in-law, two daughters and sons-in-law, a sister, nine grandchildren, nine great-grandchildren, and a nephew and his wife.

’41 Polly Giantonio died February 16, 2009.

’41 June Reinhold Myers died August 19, 2009. She is survived by son John C. “Jack” Myers III ’69 ’70MBA, son Paul Myers, and grandson John C. Myers IV ’94 ’96MBA. June was predeceased by her husband, John C. Myers, Jr. ’42. (See tribute.)

’41 Jess Gregg died March 8, 2009. Born in St. Paul, Minnesota, he was an author, playwright, and memoirist who grew up in Los Angeles. Survivors include his partner Leo, two sisters, Charlotte Gregg Ogilvie ’40 and Jenelle Gregg Bailey ’48, and six nephews. (See tribute.)

’42 Boyd France died March 2, 2009 at 88 years old. Boyd served with the British army in Iraq, North Africa, and Italy, and with the Free French Army in France and Germany. He was also an ambulance driver for the American Field Service during World War II. After the war, he worked as a reporter for the Paris Post and for the Reuters wire service, attracting worldwide attention for interviewing passengers aboard the Jewish refugee ship Exodus. In 1948, he became the Paris bureau chief for Business Week McGraw-Hill, joined the Washington bureau in 1951, and was chief White House and State Department correspondent until he retired in 1986. He was a member of the National Press Club, and enjoyed playing chess and horseback riding near his farm in Mount Airy, North Carolina. He is survived by his wife of 62 years Denise Henry, four children, seven grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

’42 Donald Murphy died May 19, 2008.Donald achieved great success as a Broadway and film actor, as well as an interior designer in his hometown of Santa Fe, New Mexico. He was also widely known for his knowledge of antiques. He is survived by many friends and his brother’s family.

’43 Barbara Brown Shea, 85, died April 22, 2009. After graduating, Barbara began her career with the FBI and later completed graduate work at Georgetown University and the University of Maryland. She also worked with the Army Air Forces in Orlando and joined the National Security Agency (NSA) in 1965, retiring as an intelligence officer in 1986. Barbara was a member of organizations such as Air Force Officers’ Wives’ Club, the Daughters of the American Revolution, the NSA’s Phoenix Society, and the National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association. She enjoyed genealogy and traveling abroad. Barbara was preceded in death by her husband, Dennis, in 1999 and is survived by four children and four grandchildren.

’44 Mary Tilden Farnsworth died January 2, 2009.

’45 Iler Ferguson died December 14, 2008. A longtime resident of Palm Beach, Florida, Iler was preceded in death by her husband, Cecil; a son; and her brothers. She was a member of the Junior League of the Palm Beaches, the A.L. Chapter of P.E.O., the Sailfish Club of Florida, Wildcat Cliff Country Club in North Carolina, Holy Trinity Episcopal Church, the Church of the Good Shepherd and the “Sewing Group.” Survivors include her children, grandchildren, great grandson, and many nieces and nephews.

’46 Nonita Cuesta Henson died December 5, 2008. Following graduation, she attended Doscher School of Photography in Woodstock, Vermont. She went on to succeed professionally as a model, photographer, fashion coordinator, public relations coordinator, and small business owner. Nonita was the first Florida Tangerine Queen and participated in numerous civic and philanthropic activities such as Jesuit High School (Tampa) Track Boosters, PTA, SERVE, and Girls Scouts. She founded the Easter Seal Guild and Citizens Alert Police Support Committee, co-founded the Tampa Historical Society, and served on many boards, including the Tampa Philharmonic and the Philharmonic Women’s League, Hospital Council of Hillsborough County, and United Cerebral Palsy (Achieve). She was honored by the Hillsborough County Bar Association as recipient of the Liberty Bell Award and was an Honorary Major of the Police Department in Tampa. Her husband, Bill, preceded her in death. She is survived by her daughter and grandchildren.

’47 Jean Higgins died October 17, 2008.

’47 Mary Georgiana “Geo” Lesperance died March 13, 2009 at 82 years old. She was preceded in death by her husband of 53 years, Bob. Survivors include her sons and grandchildren.

’47 Theodore “Ted” Mischuck died March 4, 2009. A graduate of Orlando High School, Ted received his associate’s degree from the University of Florida before attending Rollins. He was an investment banker and served the Park Lake Presbyterian Church as a deacon and an elder. Ted was active in the Central Florida community, holding memberships at the Orlando Elks Club, The University Club, Touchdown Club, and Orlando County Old Kiwanis Club. He also served as director for the Central Florida Fair and the United Way and was a member of the University of Florida President’s Council. He is survived by his wife of 61 years, Eleanor Seavey Mischuck ’47, children, and eight grandchildren.

’47 Margaret Shaw Moon died June 4, 2009. She worked as a children’s librarian at Thomas Ford Memorial Library in Western Springs, Illinois while completing her graduate studies in library science at Rosary College, now Dominican University. Later, she was a reference librarian at Thomas Ford, resigning in the early 1990s to begin volunteering and working as a part-time reference librarian at La Grange Library in La Grange, Illinois. Shewas predeceased by her husband, Gardner, in 1982 and is survived by two sons, two daughters, 12 grandchildren, and five great-grandchildren.

’48 Jack Cooper died September 10, 2008 at 84 years old. Throughout his retirement, he enjoyed traveling abroad and being active within his community and church. A widower, he is survived by his two daughters and a granddaughter.

’48 Gerald Farrens died September 15, 2008. He is survived by his wife, Jean Cartwright Farrens ’49.

’50 Robert H. Akerman died January 3, 2009. He is survived by his wife, Jean Eikelberg Akerman ’51, two daughters, one granddaughter, a sister, a brother, and numerous nieces and nephews.

’52 Anne Boyle Fain died January 19, 2009. While a student, she participated in show water skiing with the late Dick Pope at Cypress Gardens. Anne was a member of the Old Town Club and St. Paul’s Episcopal Church and served on the board of the Children’s Center. She enjoyed golfing, performing arts, gardening, painting, and poetry. She was predeceased by her husband, James, and is survived by her three children, three grandchildren, a sister-in-law, a step-son, two brothers, her beloved dog Cisco, and many close friends and neighbors.

’52 Barbara Swift Pound died February 27, 2009.

’53 Billy Joe Leathers died April 2, 2009.

’53 Sally Lellyet Fletcher died April 28, 2009. She and her husband Richard, who predeceased his wife, lived in Memphis, Tennessee, where Sally was active in the Junior League andWomen’s Exchange. She is survived by her daughter, son, and two grandsons.

’54 Patrick McCarey died March 22, 2009. He served in the Marine Corps, was a real estate broker, and owned Pat McCarey Rental Car and Truck. Pat enjoyed nature, camping with his family, and traveling. He often sang to his wife of 56 years, Isabel, and their daughters and granddaughters, “You are pretty as a picture, blooming as a rose, grace in every movement, charm in every pose.” He was active in his community and volunteered with Meals on Wheels. He served as a founding member and past president of South Orlando Kiwanis and was an original member of the Orange County Charter Commission Board. Survivors include his wife, children, grandchildren, great grandchildren, sister, and numerous nieces and nephews.

’54 Marie Perkins Lloyd died peacefully April 15, 2009. She loved Rollins, and the tradition continues through her daughter, Leslie Lloyd Renz ’80.

’54 William Conomos died February 22, 2009. He worked for the Orlando Sentinel Star, now the Orlando Sentinel, while attending Orlando High School in Florida and Rollins. Following graduation, he worked for the St. Petersburg Times and returned to the Orlando Sentinel Star in 1966 as editor and publisher. In 1976, he became a partner of Great American Book Fairs, later selling his business to Scholastic, Inc., where he served as a consultant until his retirement. He founded the Citrus Club of downtown Orlando as well as the Florida Citrus Open. Survivors include his wife Dorothy, five children, five grandchildren, and two great-grandchildren.

’54 Jane Smith Bertelkamp died November 2, 2008.

’54 Jerome Wood died March 27, 2009. He served in the United States Marine Corps and owned the Niles Steel Tank Company. He was a member of the board of Niles Community Schools, the Orchard Hills County Club, B.P.O. of Niles Elks No.1322, the Spartan Club, Delta Chi, and the former Pickwick Club, as well as a charter member of the Burnt Island Smashy Cap Crew. His passions included fishing, hunting, water skiing, and coaching a YMCA swim team. He is survived by his beloved wife, Lucia Howard Wood ’54, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren.

’55 Connie Mack Butler died March 10, 2009. In addition to attending Rollins, Connie also studied at Florida State University, Syracuse University, and The Executive Program at University of North Carolina. He served in the U.S. Army at the Army Chemical Center and had a successful career as a chemist, sales manager, vice president, and president with a variety of companies, including Presco Engineering Co, Inc. and C. Butler & Co., Inc. He also served as a consultant and fundraiser in many industries, including automotive, environmental, and telecommunications. Connie is survived by his wife of 55 years Marie and his sister.

’55 Nancy Corse Reed died July 25, 2009. (See tribute.)

’58 William “Bill” P. Cooke passed away peacefully at his home September 14, 2009 of cancer. He was 73 years old. Born April 4, 1936 in New Jersey, Bill spent the first 18 years of his life in Glen Ridge, New Jersey and attended the University of Arizona for one year. He transferred to Rollins College, where he met and married Penelope “Pennie” Martin Cooke ’62. Bill went on to teach Spanish at William R. Boone High School, Stetson University, Rollins, and the University of Minnesota, where he earned a doctorate in Spanish literature. In 1968, Bill and Pennie moved with their three children, Randall, Blake, and Marla, to Tallahassee, Florida, where they welcomed their fourth child, Christopher, and Bill taught Spanish/Medieval literature for 14 years at Florida State University. In 1982, Bill relocated to Winter Park to help his mother run Fat Boy’s Bar-B-Q. He retired in 1991 and cared for his mother until her death in 2000, then moved to DeBary, Florida in 2004. Described as “a loving, honest, and fair man who will be deeply missed,” Bill is survived by four children, five grandchildren, his ex-spouse, an aunt, and many friends.

’58 John Hlavach died in November 2008.

’58 Lawrence “Larry” Mullan died January 11, 2009. A sniper in the U.S. Marine Corps during the Korean War, Larry went on to teach at Bishop Moore High School in Orlando. He was passionate about history and was a devoted fan of the New York Yankees, for whom he pitched prior to his time as a Marine. Larry was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the Korean War Veterans’ Association. He is survived by his wife of 46 years Anne, daughter, four grandchildren, two brothers, and a sister.

’59 Daniel A. Smith, III died March 15, 2008. A founding member of the TKE chapter at Rollins, Daniel also attended the University of Tampa. He worked as a teacher at Pinellas Park Junior High, Dunedin High School, and Bay Point Middle School in St. Petersburg, Florida. He also coached soccer at Bay Point. Larry was a member of the Social Studies Council, serving as president and a national delegate, and was president of the St. Petersburg chapter of the Florida Jaycees. Survivors include his two sons and a grandchild.

’62 Judith Lee Rogers died September 20, 2008.

’66 Richard Haase ’68MBA died March 21, 2009.

’69 Karen Lee Girard died May 5, 2009. She served almost 40 years as a social services worker for the State of Florida. Her interests included reading, hiking, camping, sea kayaking, snowshoeing, and cross-country skiing. Karen was a member of the Gulf Winds Track Club and the Capital City Cyclists and participated in numerous races and rides, operating the bike club’s annual two-day recreational ride for two consecutive years. She also served as the co-trail keeper of Segment 4 of the Florida Circumnavigation Saltwater Paddling trail and volunteered at the YMCA of the Rockies Snow Mountain Ranch Nordic Center in Colorado. Karen is survived by her husband Robert, sisters, 15 nieces and nephews, mother-in-law, and brothers-in-law.

’79 Anne Hunter Shuttleworth died June 12, 2009. Following graduation, she pursued a career in banking at Citibank in New York City, transferring to the bank’s Chicago office and recently serving as vice president of J.P. Morgan. Anne’s passion for the culinary arts led her to graduate with high academic honors from The Cooking and Hospitality Institute of Chicago. She also enjoyed world traveling and the many arts Chicago has to offer. She is survived by her mother, two brothers, and three nieces and nephews.

’79 Cassandra Markie Carter died January 1, 2009. She worked as a national bank examiner in Richmond, Virginia and served as a managing partner and trustee of Carter Family LLC in Osprey, Florida. She was active in her community, serving as a fundraiser for cancer and other like causes, treasurer of the Park Trace Community Association, board member of the Osprey Revitalization Committee, and member of St. Mark’s Women’s Evening Fellowship. Cassandra was a world traveler, scuba diver, fitness enthusiast, and jazz music aficionado. Survivors include her fiancé Van Mitchell, children, mother, siblings, aunts, and a niece.

’82 Stewart Colling died April 28, 2009. A native of Maitland, Florida, Stewart excelled in basketball throughout his years in middle and high school. He attended Rollins on a full basketball scholarship and went on to display his athletic talents on a touring team in Europe following graduation. He obtained a JD from Stetson University in 1985 and was accepted to the Florida Bar Association one year later. He was a member of the Workers Injury Litigation Group, The Florida Academy of Trial Lawyers, and Florida Workers’ Advocates, as well as co-founder of Morgan Colling & Gilbert, now Morgan & Morgan, and more recently a founding partner with the law firm Colling Gilbert Wright & Carter. Stewart served as former chairman of the board of directors of Workers’ Compensation Section, past president of the Florida Workers’ Advocates, and was appointed by Governor Jeb Bush to the Governor’s Commission on Workers’ Compensation Reform in 2002. He enjoyed volunteering at the Winter Park YMCA, spear fishing, playing and watching sports, completing crossword puzzles, and spending time with his family. Stewart is survived by his wife of 24 years Nancy, three children, parents, and brother.

’83 Ann Archerd Puldy died February 25, 2009. She is survived by her husband of 21 years Michael, three sons, father, and two brothers. (See tribute.)

’85 Cheryl Smith-Khan died February 2, 2009. In addition to her degree from Rollins, Cheryl received a JD from Nova Southeastern University. She worked as a sales account executive for AT&T, an attorney with the Sixth Judicial Circuit Court, as well as in private practice, specializing in family and adoption law. Cheryl was devoted to her church, Cypress Meadows Community Church, and held leadership positions with the Clearwater Bar Association and the Fred. G. Minnis Bar Association. Survivors include her husband Amir, son, three brothers, mother, and a host family.

’91 Amy Massey died February 21, 2009 after a long battle with breast cancer. She joined the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary in 1997 as a coordinator with the Team OCEAN volunteer program. She went on to the Damage Assessment and Restoration Program to assess and repair grounding incidents, served as the unit dive supervisor for the Upper Keys region, and most recently worked as a biologist. Amy traveled extensively as a representative of the Sanctuary to share the morning-buoy technology pioneered in the Keys to prevent anchor damage to reefs.