International students must have authorization from the Office of International Student & Scholar Services before beginning any type of employment, including internships, regardless of whether they are paid, unpaid, for credit, or not for credit. Employment without authorization is a violation of a student’s immigration status. Students should work with OISSS for an understanding of their eligibility and process for employment authorization.Details on each type of work authorization can be found in MyRollins.

Types of Work Authorization Available:

Academic Training

Work authorization available to J-1 students.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)

Available to F-1 students currently pursuing a program of study at Rollins. CPT is for jobs and internships related to student's major course of study.

H1-B Temporary Work Visa

Temporary work visa that authorizes long-term employment authorization in the United States.

On-campus Employment

Available to students studying under F-1 or J-1 status for employment that is performed on campus in service of students.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

12 months of work authorization to F-1 students upon completion of their program of study.

OPT STEM Extension

F-1 students on authorized OPT who earned a degree in a designated STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) field may be eligible for 24-month extension of OPT.

Special Student Relief

Suspension of certain regulatory requirements by U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) for an F-1 student from countries experiencing extreme hardships.

Information for Employers

Employers concerned about liability related to employment of international students in the U.S. due to complicated federal laws governing non-citizens may benefit from the following information on how international students may work legally in the U.S.

Getting employment authorization for international students to work in the U.S. is not as difficult as many employers think. Most international students in the U.S. are in a non-immigrant classification of F-1 or J-1. These classifications do permit employment under certain conditions.

More Information

Students on OPT or STEM OPT

Learn more about how to maintain your status while on OPT, types of work allowed on OPT, traveling while on OPT, H1-B temporary work visas, and more.

More Information