Section Menu

International Student & Scholar Services


Please click on the following tabs for more information about the types of employment available for international students. Visit our Social Security Numbers page for more information.

Work Authorization for International Students

All international students must have authorization from the Office of International Student & Scholar Services before beginning any type of employment. Please note that internships, regardless of whether they are paid or unpaid, are also considered a form of employment. Failure to comply with this policy can be considered a violation of your immigration status, so please take time to carefully read the following sections before beginning any job:

Academic Training
Academic Training is a form of work authorization available to J-1 students.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)
CPT is available to F-1 students currently pursuing a program of study at Rollins. CPT jobs and internships must be related to the student's major course of study. 

H1-B Temporary Work Visa
This temporary work visa allows for long-term employment authorization in the United States.

On-campus Employment
On-campus employment is available to students studying under F-1 or J-1 status. This type of employment encompasses work that is performed on campus in the service of other students.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)
OPT provides an additional year of work authorization to F-1 students who have completed their program of study at Rollins. 

OPT STEM Extension
F-1 students who have applied for OPT and have completed a program of study in one of the STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) fields may be eligible to apply for an extension to their 12 months of OPT.

Social Security Number
Information for students receiving payment for work on or off-campus.

Market Your Experience