Section Menu

International Student & Scholar Services

FAQs for Scholars

FAQ for Scholars

  • I planned to end my time at Rollins and go home, but now I can’t depart the U.S. What should I do?
    • You should contact your home country’s embassy in the U.S. to let them know of your situation and for further support. If you cannot depart within your 30-day grace period, please send Jenifer Ruby a list of your efforts for a timely departure – flight reservations and cancellations, contact with your embassy, etc.
    • If your department has offered you an extension of your program, we can extend the Form DS-2019. This extension must be completed prior to your current program end date.
  • I heard the U.S. State Department has extended all J-1 visas. Will I be getting a new DS-2019 from OISSS?
    • If your program end date was between April 1 – May 31, 2020, the Department of State automatically extended your end date for 60 additional days. OISSS has contacted all scholars affected by this.
  • I was a J-1 scholar at Rollins and have decided to end my program early and return home. What should I do?
    • Please coordinate your early departure with your department. Please also contact Jenifer Ruby so your SEVIS record can be updated. It’s important to report early departures to prevent difficulties in returning to the U.S. later.
  • My department is just starting to set up my new appointment (I don’t yet have a Form DS-2019). Is there anything I should do now?
    • Your department will work closely with OISSS to determine when you may be able to enter the U.S. to begin your appointment. Once determined, OISSS will work with you and the department to collect the required documents for the issuance of the Form DS-2019.