Section Menu

Office of International Programs

Non-Rollins Programs

Learn more about non-Rollins international study programs.


We encourage Rollins students to look at the Rollins Approved Semester and Summer Programs first, since those are the programs we have reviewed, selected and even developed. However, Rollins students are allowed to participate on programs through other institutions and study abroad providers, as long as they understand the following policies and obtain the appropriate approvals before going abroad.

  1. Transfer of credits is not guaranteed on a non-Rollins program—students must obtain approvals from Student Records and from the relevant departments if they hope to fulfill specific requirements. Credits will be processed as transfer credits. Please go to Academic Policies for full details and procedures.
  2. Financial Aid and institutional scholarships cannot be applied to a non-Rollins program.
  3. Students must still apply through International Programs.
  4. Students participating in a non-Rollins semester program must take a leave of absence from Rollins—International Programs will assist students in processing the necessary paperwork.
  5. Students will pay all costs directly to the program sponsor or provider; however, students are required to pay a non-refundable $550 administrative and transfer credit fee for a semester program and a non-refundable $75 administrative fee for a summer program. Payments will be posted to your Student Account Services account.
  6. International Programs provides advising, basic pre-departure support, and, in addition, will cover emergency and medical insurance for students participating on a non-Rollins program upon request.
  7. Costs vary widely so research carefully to make sure you understand all the costs associated with a program—what is included in program fees and tuition, and what additional costs you may be responsible for.
  8. You must attend a required advising session (30 mins) as part of the application process for a non-Rollins semester program. Please email Mary Robinson to schedule an appointment. Walk-in advising is for informational purposes only. Important: In order to have your required advising appointment, you must have already started your application in RIPA.
  9. NOTE that students are not allowed to take a leave of absence and participate in a Rollins Approved Program directly. Those programs are only available through Rollins International Programs.

For more information on the steps involved with an international internship, check out the International Internship tab above.

Finding a Program

You can start with the recommendations on this page to start browsing programs. Internet searches and study abroad search engines can help you expand if the recommended options won't work for you. The staff at International Programs can help you search for an appropriate program—we have lots of experience and are familiar with most large providers and we have learned a lot about the programs that have been popular with Rollins students in the past. If you are searching through programs on your own and find one that you wish to pursue, make sure to do your homework and make sure the program provides strong academics and good student support. We recommend contacting the institution and/or provider and asking to be put in contact with a recent participant. Make sure you understand the program details—housing, costs, course options. Ask questions about student health and safety—a reputable program should be able to provide you with all the information you need, even if they can’t answer your questions right away.

Recommended Programs

We partner with the following program providers and recommend their programs broadly.
--The Education Abroad Network: Australia, New Zealand, China and Southeast Asia
--CAPA: Ireland, Italy, Australia, China, Argentina
--ISA: Varied Locations. Rollins has competitive scholarships available for ISA summer programs! 
--IFSA-Butler: Varied Locations
--IAU College: France and Spain Summer Programs
--College Year in Athens: Summer programs in Greece
--Trinity College in Rome: Summer program in Italy
--Maynooth University: Summer program in Ireland
--Global Livingston Institute: Internship programs year round
--Hollins Abroad: Summer internship in London
Also, students participating in any of the above or other programs in Italy are also eligible for the Peterson Scholarship for Summer Study in Italy (see Scholarship tab).

Pre-Med students, or those looking for a health internship, may want to consider the Atlantis Project (Summer only).
For more information on the steps involved with an international internship, please click here.

International Internships

If you are considering an international internship, the procedures will vary depending on your specific situation. You may want to give some thought to the benefits and challenges of doing an internship abroad, particularly in relation to your own personal and professional goals. You will need to target a potential career field to explore and gain experience in through the internship so you may want to visit the Center for Career and Life Planning for assistance. The Center for Career and Life Planning will also provide you guidance on creating and/or updating a resume/CV and cover letter.

For more detailed information on the steps involved with an international internship, please click here.

  • If you are an international student interning in your home country with a specific employer you have already identified and confirmed with, and you wish to enroll in the Rollins Academic Internship Course, you will submit registration paperwork to Career Services and will need to pay the associated matriculation fee.
  • If you are a U.S. citizen interning with a specific employer you have already identified and confirmed with, and you wish to enroll in the Rollins Academic Internship Course, you will need to submit registration paperwork to Career Services and pay the associated matriculation fee.  You will also register with IP and our staff will provide additional advising, assistance and insurance.
  • If you plan to do an international internship through a non-Rollins program (e.g., Boston University) and wish to transfer the internship credit back to Rollins, you must apply in RIPA and via the specific internship program provider and pay the $25 application fee and a matriculation fee. IP will provide you with advising, pre-departure orientation and assistance.

Make sure to take the appropriate steps to receive academic credit for your international internship: You will need to submit the appropriate approval paperwork to International Programs and submit documentation to the Director of Academic Internships/Director of International Business Internships to transfer the internship credits back to Rollins. 

Non-Rollins Internship Programs

There are many providers but the list below has been reviewed by IP.

Boston University
CAPA International Education
CIS Intern Abroad
Global Experiences