Office of International Programs

Health & Safety

The safety of our students is a top priority. We require every student who studies abroad to attend a pre-departure orientation that covers health, safety, legal, and cultural issues.


All students receive our Pre-departure Guide, which has a wealth of detailed health and safety information. Students participating on Rollins Approved Programs also receive a Program Handbook with details particular to each program, and students on all Approved Programs, including Field Studies, complete a voluntary medical report that is reviewd by IP staff.  We reach out to students individually as needed to provide reminders on managing health issues, dietary restrictions, and medications while abroad and where appropriate, notify faculty program leaders our partners abroad of any health issues or concerns.  Staff in IP pay close attention to world events through news sources, the State Department, OSAC, our partners abroad, and our professional community.  Where appropriate, we cover students on our programs not only for medical evacuation, but for security evacuation.  We regularly assess our programs for health and safety, provide health and safety training for our faculty program leaders, and have fully developed protocols for any health and safety issue, from the very minor to a large-scale emergency.  While traveling always involves risk, we consider it our role to minimize these risks and help our students have safe and successful experiences.

Health Insurance

All Rollins students participating in study abroad, regardless of program type or sponsor, should have health and emergency insurance coverage for all the areas in which they will travel. In general, when using health insurance internationally, students will need to pay out of pocket for all costs, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. Students should ensure they have all relevant information for their insurance policy (i.e. contact information, website, ID, policy and group numbers, claim procedures, etc.) so that they are prepared for any medical requirements while abroad. All students studying abroad through Rollins Programs (semester, summer and field study) will be covered for full medical, emergency, and repatriation coverage. Some programs providers include medical insurance and students can expect information directly from the study abroad provider. All other students will be covered under insurance from Cultural Insurance Services International (CISI.)  CISI can make payments directly to providers outside the U.S. However, in some situations, students may need to pay for expenses out-of-pocket, and then submit a claim for reimbursement. Please contact International Programs for full policy information.

Medications Abroad

Students currently taking any prescription medications should contact their physician to ensure they will have enough to last the extended time away.  It can be very complicated to refill a prescription abroad and some medications that are legal in the US, particularly some of the common medications for ADHD, are not legal in certan countries and cannot be accessed or sometimes even shipped into the country.  Please contact IP or talk to your prescribing doctor to find out more about managing medications abroad.

Coverage through CISI

  • China: Hong Kong Baptist University
  • Germany: Jacobs University and Junior Year in Munich (students have German insurance for standard care and CISI for medical/security evacuation, repatriation, and broad coverage outside Germany)
  • Greece: College Year in Athens
  • Ireland: National University of Ireland at Maynooth
  • Israel: Tel Aviv University (students have Israeli insurance for standard care and CISI for medical/security evacuation, repatriation, and broad coverage outside Israel)
  • Italy: Inter-Collegiate Center for Classical Studies, Rome
  • Japan: Kansai Gaidai University, Japan
  • Spain: University of Oviedo
  • United Kingdom:  Queen Mary, University of London
  • United Kingdom: Lancaster University, England
  • All Approved Summer Programs and Field Studies

Coverage Through Provider

  • Argentina: ISA at University of Belgrano, Buenos Aires
  • Australia: University of Sydney and University of Newcastle
  • China: Rollins in Shanghai through Alliance for Global Education
  • France: Hollins University in Paris
  • Italy: Trinity College in Rome
  • Italy: ISA at the American University of Rome
  • United Kingdom:  CAPA Semester and Internship in London
  • Varied Locations: SIT Study Abroad

No additional insurance needed

  • United States: Washington D.C. Internship
  • United States: Duke University Marine Lab

Health Insurance for Non-Rollins Programs

If you are participating in a Non-Rollins program, your regular Rollins student insurance should provide very basic coverage for medical, medical emergency, and repatriation services. In addition, your host institution or provider may purchase coverage on your behalf - be sure to ask if medical and emergency insurance is included in your program costs. If you are participating in a Non-Rollins program and have your own coverage, make sure it will cover you internationally and make sure to carry all important insurance documents and information (ID numbers etc.) with you abroad. If you do not have adequate coverage through your host institution or provider, or through your own health insurance policy, you may request IP to purchase coverage on your behalf at no additional cost.


The following government websites provide valuable tips and information to help ensure that the study abroad experience is a safe one. The U.S. Department of State offers a wealth of information on their site about travel warnings, embassy/consulate information and general information about traveling abroad.

U.S. Passports and International Travel
CDC Travelers' Health Information

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)

STEP is a free service provided by the U.S. Government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to a foreign country. Registration allows you to record information about your upcoming trip abroad that the Department of State can use to assist you in case of an emergency. When an emergency happens, or if natural disaster, terrorism, or civil unrest strikes during your foreign travel, the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate can be your source of assistance and information. U.S. embassies can assist Americans who encounter serious legal, medical, or financial difficulties.

To Register:

  • Go to
  • Create an account by clicking on the "Create an Account" link and following the instructions provided.
  • Once you have created an account, you will view your profile and add trips to register with a specific U.S. embassy or consulate. Follow through the pages, and complete as much information as you have available.
  • You will then receive a confirmation email to ensure that you are registered correctly.
  • You may also download the Smart Traveler App to have the latest information on the go.