Section Menu

Human Resources


From who is eligible for coverage to how to change coverage during the year, everything you need to know about eligibility.

Who is Eligible for Coverage?

In general, employees (over 1,462 hours per year), a legal spouse, dependent children, or a certified domestic partner and their dependent children are eligible to be covered. Criteria (such as number of hours worked per year) and age requirements vary with the type of coverage. For specific eligibility requirements, please see the information provided under each specific benefit program.

For information and guidelines on domestic partner benefits see Domestic Partner Benefits Policy.

To enroll a domestic partner or partner's dependent children in benefits coverage, you must complete and sign the Rollins College Affidavit of Domestic Partnership and the Declaration of Tax Dependent Status, and submit these forms to the Human Resources Department. You may access these forms under the Human Resources Forms. A new Declaration of Tax Dependent Status is required every calendar year.

When coverage becomes effective

As a new hire, you must enroll within 30 days of your hire date, and coverage and premiums are effective the first of the month following or coinciding with your hire date. Voluntary life insurance amounts within the guaranteed issue will be effective immediately. All other life coverage will become effective upon approval with the insurance carrier's underwriting guidelines.

Coverage for dependents will begin on the same day your coverage begins. However, if you are not actively working, or a dependent is confined for medical care or treatment on that date, coverage for you will be delayed until you return to work and coverage for your dependents will be delayed until they are discharged.

The plan year is 4/1 - 3/31, and open enrollment is in February each year.  If you make changes during the open enrollment period in February, your coverage elections will generally become effective April 1 of that year. New coverage for voluntary life insurance over the guaranteed issue and long term care insurance will become effective upon approval with the insurance carrier's underwriting guidelines.

Life event changes will be effective on the date of the event. See Making Changes for additional information. 

Changing coverage during the year

Generally, changes to your coverage are not permitted outside your initial new hire enrollment period or annual open enrollment. However, if you experience a qualifying status change you are given a 30 day window to make applicable changes to your benefits elections. Qualifying status changes include, but are not limited to:

  • marriage or divorce
  • birth, adoption, or death
  • beginning or ending of spouse employment
  • loss of other health coverage
  • change from full-time to part time employment for you or your spouse
  • change in coverage under other employer's cafeteria plan or qualified benefits plan

Should you experience a status change throughout the year, you must process benefit changes within thirty (30) days or you must wait until the next open enrollment period. Coverage changes made mid-year, including applicable premiums, will be effective on the date of the change in status (ie. loss or gain of coverage).

To make changes, you must do the following within thirty (30) calendar days of the status change:

Please contact Human Resources at 407-646-2102 for further information.

Premium Payments

Your contributions for health, dental, flexible spending accounts (HCSA and DCSA), and vision care will be withheld from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis. This means that the amount you pay toward your coverage is deducted from your paycheck before taxes are withheld. Pre-tax contributions lower the amount of pay on which you are taxed, thus the tax savings can help to offset the cost of your benefits. If you are interested in electing these benefits on an after-tax basis, please notify Human Resources. Long Term Care insurance and voluntary life insurance are only offered on an after-tax basis. The premiums for domestic partners are taxable unless the individual qualifies as a tax dependent per the IRS.