Section Menu

Accessibility Services

Starting the Accommodations Process

Requesting Accommodations

To request academic accommodations, you will need to complete the following steps:


1. Fill out the Accommodation Request Form which can be found on the Student Life tab within FoxLink.

Use your Fox ID and Passwork to login to Foxlink. On the Student Life tab under Accessibility Services, click on the Accommodation Request Form. This form will help identify specific accommodation needs and provides a place to upload medical documentation (See Documentation Guidelines tab) to our secure student management system, "Accommodate."


2. Submit documentation that supports a connection between disability and the requested accommodation(s).


3. After receiving your request form and documentation, an Accessibility Services staff member will review your request and determine eligibility for the requested accommodation or alternative accommodations. Accessibility Services will reach out to schedule your Welcome Meeting where we will meet to learn more about your needs, your request, and to discuss any next steps.

During the Welcome Meeting, we will discuss the impact of the student’s disability on their academics or co-curricular activities and what elements of the learning environments are inaccessible. Other important pieces of information to share during the Welcome Meeting include explaining one's experience, identifying accommodations that were helpful or unhelpful in the past, the current impact of medication and health treatments, current academic standing/concerns, and any other relevant information. Each student will be evaluated on an individual basis, and accommodations are not one-size-fits-all.

Students will also receive instructions on how to use "Accommodate" to coordinate their accommodations, including scheduling tests or viewing notes, if applicable. Accessibility Services staff are available throughout the semester for consultation at any time if accommodation needs change or need to be adjusted. 


4. If accommodations are approved, accommodation letters will be sent to your current faculty members that outline your accommodations. Your disability information is not included in the letter.


5. Each semester, the student is responsible for submitting a request for accommodation letters to their professors. We will not assume that a student will want their letters to be sent.

Students will make a "Semester Request" on "Accommodate," indicating which approved accommodations they will be using in each course. Semester requests must be made each semester they wish to utilize accommodations. This is generally done at the beginning of each term. Though students will receive reminders to complete their Semester Requests, it is ultimately their responsibility to do so in order to initiate the accommodation process each semester.

Documentation Guidelines

Students do not need documentation to meet with Accessibility Services or start the accommodations process. However, presenting supporting documentation early on in the process is beneficial for the student and for our office in order to determine appropriate accommodations. The type and amount of documentation required will depend on the individual situation and the specific request that is being made. If a student does not have documentation, our staff will work with the student to determine what documentation is needed. If a student's disability is apparent, additional documentation may not be necessary.

The student is ultimately the best source of information about the effects of their disability. The staff in Accessibility Services are experienced in conducting individual, deliberative and interactive processes with each student to assess the impact of their disability and assign appropriate accommodations. We recognize the value of the student's experience and perspective and therefore work collaboratively to develop and accommodation plan together.

Supporting documentation can be uploaded directly to the Accommodation Request Form at the bottom as an attachment. If it is determined that documentation is needed, it should include the following information:

  • Diagnosis
  • Length of time treated or how long the condition is expected to last. Though we do not set a limit on the age of the documentation, it must still be accurate and relevant to the student.
  • Impact of the diagnosis on the student in the academic environment
  • Suggestions for reasonable accommodations (reasonable accommodations are ultimately determined by Accessibility Services)
  • Signature of licensed, treating physician, therapist or other health providers qualified to diagnose the disability

Our office follows the national guidance of our professional organization, The Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD), regarding documentation requirements. Examples of documentation may include:

  • Individual Education Program (IEP) or 504 Plans: These plans contain valuable historic information about accommodations in K-12 and we encourage that they are included. If it does not include diagnostic information, we may require additional documentation.
  • Psychoeducational Evaluations
  • Medical Records
  • Educational Records

Student files, including disability documentation, are stored on our "Accommodate" software that is only accessible to Accessibility Services staff members. Student files are kept for 5 years after the student is no longer registered for classes or graduates (per the institution's record keeping guidelines). Students have the right to access their file while it is still being stored with the office and can arrange to do so by contacting the Office of Accessibility Services.

Health Care Provider Forms

Accessibility Services recommends that the Health Care Provider forms (below) be submitted along with all relevant and up to date documentation to expedite the accommodation review and approval process. The form is not required for accommodation request or approval, and accommodation requests submitted without the form will be reviewed. Accessibility Services retains the right to request additional documentation including the form to properly evaluate reasonable accommodations. If you do not currently have documentation for your request, these forms are accepted by themselves as supporting documentation.

Health Care Provider Form (General)

Health Care Provider Form (Housing)

Educational Testing

Although Accessibility Services or the Wellness Center does not provide psycho-educational testing for students with disabilities, this may be used as a guide to find out if you should be tested and where you can go to receive these services. In the K-12 education system, the school was responsible for identifying students with disabilities and ensuring they receive evaluations for learning disabilities. However, in college, it is the student’s responsibility to provide documentation of a disability, which is determined by a qualified licensed professional. The quickest option is through a private psychologist that is qualified to complete educational evaluations. Accessibility Services can provide a list of local providers who are experienced with testing college-aged students, if needed.

If you feel you have a particular difficulty with learning which may be the result of a learning disability, attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), or a psychiatric disability, there are a few questions you should consider:

Why do you think you have a learning disability, ADHD, or a psychiatric disability?

Have you noticed particular learning difficulties or difficulty paying attention? When did your difficulties start? Did someone refer you to Accessibility Services for testing? You will want to know what barriers you are experiencing academically and be able to explain them to the person who evaluates you.

Did you qualify for accommodations while in high school, or prior to attending Rollins?

If you received accommodations for a disability in high school, it is likely you were evaluated for a disability. It is wise to check with your high school or your family members to see if there is an evaluation report of a disability on file for you somewhere. This can save you time and money. 

Will your insurance pay for this type of testing?

This type of testing may be covered under some insurance policies, so be sure to examine specific policies or contact your insurance agent and/or your medical doctor for a referral. If you do not have insurance or are concerned about cost, please contact us to set up a meeting with an Accessibility Services staff member.