When the Olin Library was dedicated on April 17, 1985, the ceremony linked past to future. On that same date in 1885, the Congregational Association had voted to establish Florida’s first college in Winter Park. The Olin Library provides the foundation for Rollins College’s second century of service, and its dedication marked the beginning of the College’s Centennial Celebration.
Funded by a grant of $4.7 million from The F. W. Olin Foundation of New York City, the Olin Library is a four-level, 54,000 square foot structure retains the Spanish Colonial architecture that dominates the campus. The building was designed by James Gable Rogers. The rich detail of the classic exterior is matched by a warm and simple interior, which has been designed to bring books and readers comfortably together. Open stacks with study areas throughout, conference rooms, group studies, and a tower lounge with exhibit space are some of the features that provide an inviting research and study environment. Patrons are able to use individual and group media rooms for viewing and listening.
A second gift of $2.7 million established the Olin Electronic Research and Information Center. The Center features the latest technology, including computer workstations, scanners, color printers, audio and video digitizers, compact discs, videodiscs, and videotapes. These tools facilitate creativity as students pursue research questions, prepare multimedia presentations and create web pages.
The Library’s collections reflect the liberal arts mission of the College and strongly support the curriculum through a generous budget. Holdings currently include over 280,000 volumes, 1,500 periodical subscriptions, 700 serial subscriptions, 4200 periodicals and 4200 serials available through electronic resources, 74,000 government documents, a number of special collections, and hundreds of compact discs, videodiscs, and videotapes.
Learn more about the Olin Library.