Dinky Dock sits on Lake Virginia, a 224-acre lake in the Winter Park Chain of Lakes. Now a public park, the area used to be the site of the depot for the Winter Park-Orlando Railroad. Nicknamed the "Dinky Line" for its fragility, the railroad opened on January 2, 1889. The fare from Winter Park to Orlando was 15 cents, and the trip measured six miles and took half an hour. In the early 1900s, Rollins students were prohibited from visiting the railway, driving, or boating on Sundays.
The depot was removed in 1967. But look for a monument, a little to the west of Dinky Dock on Lake Virginia, that marks where the train station once stood.