Appointments for Success Coaching can be made upon request.
To make an appointment please contact Student Success at 407-646-2354 or email us at email@example.com.
Overview of Student Success Coaching
As a result of the evolution of our two year college-wide conversations and planning on student success, retention and advising, in fall 2012 Rollins’ professional academic advisors began to report to the umbrella of offices and services that encompass our Office of Student Success. Our professional advisors titles are now reflected as student success coaches and will continue to advance the work of the highly successful appreciative advising model that has been undertaken the past three semesters at Rollins as part of our Student Success and Retention initiative. The name change reflects the appreciative advising methodology as well as the development of student-centered partnerships in first-year programs and beyond.
The appreciative advising model is different from traditional advising in that is a student-centered and holistic approach to helping students explore their strengths, dreams, academic, career, and life goals into an articulated four year plan that links the curricular and co-curricular experiences. This proactive model builds upon student development theory, inquiry, and positive psychology. Unlike traditional reactive advising models which tend to focus solely on course planning, scheduling and management, this model allows coaches to partner with students to discover their potential and reach their educational goals.
We have found it to be effective advising model in assisting students in explore their interests, utilizing campus resources effectively and assisting students to become leaders of their education inside and outside of the classroom. Our hope is that Rollins’ Student Success Coaching model will become a national best practice and benchmark for other small private liberal arts institutions.
Role of Student Success Coach
The Student Success Coach is responsible for providing a linkage between students and Rollins College’s curricular and co-curricular education and connecting students to resources in the community that will bolster their success. The Student Success Coach works proactively to help Rollins College meet its goals of increasing student retention and graduation rates by meeting the developmental needs of students.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Build, develop and maintain student-centered relationships through delivery of personalized, holistic, developmental coaching services.
- Ally with students to develop their graduation vision and their curricular and co-curricular individualized plan for success.
- Assess what the students’ strengths and interests are and ally with the student in utilizing those strengths and interests to develop and reach their goals.
- Manage an assigned roster of athletic and transfer students and provide the population with student success coaching. Maintain this student information in order to track student persistence towards their graduation vision.
- Provides student success holistic coaching and referral services to walk in students.
- Teach courses in student success skills.
- Assist in training of peer coaches and peer mentors/RCC faculty on holistic coaching principles.
- Manage a proactive leadership approach in guiding students through their obstacles to success.
- Provide information and referrals about registration, faculty advising, financial aid, career services, caps and other faculty and staff as needed.
- Develop rapport and working relationships with all students, staff and faculty.
- Knowledge of academic standards and institutional policies.
- Familiarity with current best practices in student success.
- Understanding of and commitment to best practices in student retention initiatives.
- Ability to support strategic initiatives related to the College's retention activities.
- Supportive of the goals and the mission of Rollins College and the Office of Student Success.
Our Student Success Coaches
Tiffany Griffin, Student Success Coach Coordinator
Adrianne Benso, Student Success Coach
Aspen Fox, Student Success Coach
Anita Cox, Graduate Assistant Student Success Coach & Athletics Coordinator
Renee Fiorot, Graduate Assistant Student Success Coach
Lauren Rosete, Graduate Assistant Student Success Coach