Transfer Credit

Learn how to transfer advanced standing credit, Hamilton Holt School course work, and other college and university credit.

Advanced Standing Credit

Students may receive advanced standing by several means. This includes but is not limited to credit for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and dual enrollment courses. Credit granted for any of these or by similar means does not automatically exempt a student from the general education requirements of the College. Please contact the Office of Student Records for additional information.

Advanced Placement (AP)

Students are awarded four (4) semester hours of credit for each AP examination on which they earn a score of four (4) or five (5). Students who present scores of four (4) or higher on the AP English Language and Composition examination or the AP English Literature and Composition examination are exempt from satisfying the College's Writing general education curriculum requirement. Students who present scores of four (4) or five (5) on the AP Statistics examination are exempt from satisfying the College's Quantitative Reasoning general education curriculum requirement. Credit earned from other AP examinations does not exempt students from any other of the College's general education curriculum requirements.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

Credit for IB course work is granted for students with an IB diploma, on a course by course basis. Students with an IB Diploma and a score of thirty (30) or better will be awarded one year (thirty-two [32] semester hours) of credit. Students without the Diploma, or with the Diploma and a score of less than thirty (30), will be awarded eight (8) semester hours for each higher-level score of five (5) or better and four (4) semester hours for each score of four (4) or better (on a higher or subsidiary level), to a maximum of twenty-four (24) semester hours. General education credit will be awarded as appropriate, to be determined by suitable bodies. Advanced placement will be awarded for major courses, subject to departmental approval. Students who present both IB and AP work in the same subject area will not be awarded double credit.

Other Examinations

Grades of 'A' through 'C' on most British GCE A-level exams earn two course credits, eight (8) semester hours, per examination.

CAPE Credit

Each score of one (1) or two (2) on CAPE Examinations is worth four (4) semester hours of academic credit. Credit earned through CAPE examinations does not exempt students from any of the general education curriculum requirements.

Hamilton Holt School Course Work

Sophomores, juniors, and seniors enrolled in the College may register for one undergraduate course per academic year in the Hamilton Holt School on a tuition-free basis, if approved by their academic advisor. During summer terms, College of Liberal Arts students are expected to pay full tuition and fees for Holt School courses taken. Students interested in taking a Holt School course should contact the Office of Student Records.

Holt School courses have the same academic value as The College courses, unless an exception is made in writing. Grades earned are calculated as part of the student's grade point average. Students desiring to fulfill The College general education requirements through Holt School course work must obtain advance permission, in writing, from the Office of Student Records. Students who want a Holt School course to apply toward major requirements in The College must obtain advance permission, in writing, from the chair of their major program. Students who have been academically or socially dismissed or suspended from Rollins College will not be awarded transfer credit for work undertaken at other institutions during the period of dismissal or suspension (see Appeals of Academic Policies).

In an effort to ensure the availability of Holt School courses to the student population they were designed to serve, College of Liberal Arts students are registered in Holt School only sections (identified in the Holt School Schedule) on a space-available basis: a maximum of five (5) Arts and Sciences students may register for any given course.

Other College & University Credit

Transfer students must meet all general education curriculum and major requirements to earn a Rollins College degree. The Office of Student Records reviews and evaluates courses taken at other institutions, determines courses/credit to be accepted, and prepares a Transfer Course Evaluation. The evaluation lists all courses accepted and any general education requirements those courses fulfill. Students who enter Rollins College ready to declare their major program of study may request a major course evaluation from the Office of Student Records. The major department makes decisions regarding fulfillment of major requirements through transfer credit.

In the evaluation of transfer credit, four (4) semester hours equals one Rollins course. Transfer credit is awarded for coursework taken at regionally-accredited (Middle States, North Central, New England, Northwest, Southern, and Western Association) institutions, or the equivalent international institution. Transfer credit is not awarded for courses with a grade below “C-.” All transfer courses must be officially letter-graded by the originating institution, with the exception of internships which may be graded Pass/Fail or Credit/No Credit if they meet the specific criteria outlined in the Education Programs and Opportunities section of this Catalogue. No more than the equivalent of sixty-four (64) semester hours of credit are accepted from a two-year institution. Students with sixty (60) semester hours of credit enter Rollins College with junior standing, but may need additional time to fulfill the requirements of specific majors.

Rollins College participates in an articulation agreement between the Independent Colleges and Universities of Florida (ICUF) and the Division of Florida Colleges. Through this participation, students who enter Rollins with a completed Associate of Arts (AA) degree from a Florida community college matriculate with junior standing and are usually able to transfer a total of sixty (60) semester hours, provided that they meet the same standards and program requirements as native Rollins students.

For all transfer students accepted though the College's participation in the ICUF Articulation Agreement, transfer credit for courses completed at the community college will only be awarded for grades of “C-” or better, as is the standard for all transfer students in The College. No more than a total of sixty-four (64) semester hours will be awarded to a student for transfer work from a two-year college. Rollins College will not transfer credits obtained from a secondary institution via online, blended, or distance learning courses, if a student simultaneously is enrolled in full-time courses at a different institution (including Rollins). Rollins College reserves the right to not award transfer credit for courses that are not considered appropriate for a pragmatic liberal arts education.

As part of the College's participation in the ICUF Articulation Agreement, General Education Curriculum Requirements are waived for students with the A.A. degree from a Florida community college as well. Upper-level writing reinforcement and oral communication requirements, both part of the College's general education curriculum, are infused into one or more upper-level courses within each major course of study.

A student’s previous grade-point-average (GPA) does not carry forward; a Rollins GPA is determined only on the basis of courses completed at Rollins.

Once admitted to full-time degree-seeking status in The College, students must complete at least seventy (70) semester hours in the College (including Rollins or Rollins-affiliated off-campus courses, and approved Hamilton Holt School courses). Moreover, students must be enrolled full-time in the College of Liberal Arts (excluding Hamilton Holt School courses) during the last two (2) consecutive semesters (excluding summer terms). Students must complete a minimum of 140 semester hours of academic work, of which at least sixty-four (64) semester hours must be outside a single departmental prefix. All students must complete a minimum of sixteen (16) semester hours that are not used to meet either a general education curriculum or major requirement. If a course taken previously is repeated at Rollins, credit for the transfer course will be removed from the student's record.

Summer Course Work

Students may take courses at other institutions, including the Hamilton Holt School, during summer terms, though these courses do not count toward The College's residency requirements. Students must secure approval from their academic advisor, major/minor department chair, and the Office of Student Records regarding both the institution and specific courses prior to enrollment in another program. A Request for Permission to Study Outside of Arts and Sciences form must be used to obtain approval. Courses not pre-approved by the advisor, department chair, and Office of Student Records will not be accepted for transfer. Although grades do not transfer, with the exception of Rollins programs, courses must be taken for a letter grade. Academic credit is given only if a grade of 'C-' or better is earned. In addition, students must ensure that the institution attended, other than Rollins programs, sends an official transcript to Rollins after courses are completed. Students are responsible for requesting that an official transcript be sent directly to the Office of Student Records after completing summer courses.

Office of Student Records
Rollins College
1000 Holt Avenue – Box 2713
Winter Park, FL 32789
T. 407.646.2144
F. 407.646.1576