Academic Excellence

Academic Excellence

Educating students for global citizenship and responsible leadership.

Blackboard for Faculty Teaching in rFLA

The following Blackboard page has been set up for all faculty teaching in the rFLA program.

Frequently Asked Questions

How many neighborhood courses will I take?

5 courses: one 100 level, three at the 200 level, and one 300 level practicum

What’s a divisional requirement?

Students need to take a course in each of the following academic disciplines: Arts (A), Social Sciences (C), Sciences (S), and Humanities (H). 

The neighborhood curriculum is both developmental—meaning the courses are designed to be taken in numerical order—and integrative. In your major, you’ll go deep into a single field of study, but we also want you to have breadth across different methods of solving problems and gaining knowledge. In addition to taking classes from different disciplines, you’ll also work to integrate these different approaches to understand how they might be used together to tackle a global challenge.

How do I know if a class is a neighborhood class? How can I tell what divisions I’ve fulfilled?

The class listing on the Course Schedule published by Student Records includes a wealth of information about these courses. They are listed under the “rFLA” heading. The course title and number might read: ICE 200A. That means it is in the Innovate, Create, Elevate neighborhood, at the 200 level, and counts for the expressive arts divisional requirement. Your DegreeWorks will also keep track of these requirements and you should discuss your progress with your faculty advisor regularly.

Can I take a class outside of my neighborhood?

Yes. But only one.

You will need to register for a class outside of your neighborhood with a paper form in Student Records on the second floor of Carnegie Hall. When you stop by, they will do a check of your DegreeWorks to make sure you’re still on track to meet requirements. Please remember you will need your advisor’s signature on this form before you submit it to Student Records.

Once selected, you will stay in your neighborhood through the 300 level. You must take your 300 level practicum in your neighborhood.

Can I count a neighborhood class toward my major?

Yes. But only one.

Please consult with your faculty advisor or the department chair in your major department to be sure that your DegreeWorks accurately counts this course in both the major and the rFLA program.

Can I take two neighborhood classes in one semester?

Yes. After your 100 level class.

What do I need to do before I can register for 300?

In addition to completing your 100 and 200 level classes, you also need to complete your mathematical thinking and written competency courses before you enroll in 300. We strongly encourage you to complete your foreign language competency before 300, but you may take both courses in one semester if necessary. In rare cases, exceptions to these policies may be considered by the Associate Dean of Academics.

What happens if I don’t earn a C- or better in my neighborhood class?

If you earn a D in the course, you will receive elective credit toward graduation, but will need to take another course in the neighborhood to meet that level and divisional requirement.

If you fail or withdraw from the course, you will not receive any credit and must take another neighborhood course.

Can I take a neighborhood course outside of Rollins?

Transfer courses from regionally accredited institutions may be approved for neighborhood credit by the Associate Dean of Academics.

When do I need a signature from the Dean of Academics and where can I find her?

Any exceptions to neighborhood policies must be considered on a case-by-case basis by the Associate Dean of Academics. Assoc. Dean Emily Russell’s office is located in 206E Warren Hall and appointments can be made by e-mail at

Careful planning with a faculty advisor will ensure that you don’t need to seek such exceptions. Please use DegreeWorks and a four-year planner to be sure you can meet all of your goals for a Rollins experience. We have designed the rFLA program so that you can study abroad, double major, take on minors, and academic internships and still meet requirements on time. We’re here to help with this planning to make sure all of your courses “count,” even as you’re exploring new possibilities.

Dr. Emily Russell
Rollins College
Associate Dean of Academics
1000 Holt Avenue - 2749
Winter Park, FL 32789