Gender neutral housing is defined as a housing option in which two or more students mutually agree to share a multiple-occupancy apartment, regardless of sex or gender identity or expression. This practice allows students to base roommate choices solely on compatibility, unrestricted by sex.
Gender neutral housing is available in Sutton Apartments for upper-class students.
- Students may request a roommate of any sex/gender during housing selection.
- All students in the roommate group must request to "match" one another during the specified roommate selection period, as per the roommate request process.
- Gender neutral roommate groups must be able to fill the apartment to full capacity.
- Students will not be required to reveal their reasons for opting to live in gender neutral housing; however, this option is not intended for romantic couples.
- Students will not be assigned to gender neutral apartments without request.
- Gender neutral housing is limited to Sutton Apartments.
- Sutton Apartments have 2 private bathrooms located inside each apartment so the use of the bathrooms will only effect residents inside the apartment.
- Students who select gender neutral housing but would like to move will be offered options through Residential Life's room change procedure.
- Once an apartment is designated as gender neutral, that space will remain gender neutral as long as all residents continue to occupy the space during the current academic year.
- In case of a vacancy:
- The roommates left behind may pull in any new roommate- including a roommate of the same or opposite sex. All students in the space have to approve the new roommate.
- The Office of Residential Life will attempt to place students in the apartment who are interested in living in a gender neutral space.
- If the above options are not possible, the Office of Residential Life reserves the right to split and relocate the group in order to create single-sex groups.