Why major in Computer Science?
- You will acquire the skills, knowledge, flexibility, and the ability to learn - all necessary to thrive in a changing world.
- Becoming a computer science professional opens the door to many rewarding careers. Money Magazine has ranked software design as the most highly-rated job because of its opportunities for creative expression, good working environment, advancement, and salary.
- Many areas of computer science will help you make an impact on our world. Here are just a few examples:
- Computer modeling guides us toward answers in the spread of infectious diseases and the consequences of climate change.
- Simulation improves the safety of aviation and surgery.
- Robotics allows us to explore the ocean floor and outer space.
- Artificial intelligence and expert systems provide quick diagnoses to problems in medicine and in business.
- Computational biology is mapping the human genome and tracking whale migrations.
- New human/computer interfaces are changing the way we do business and helping those impaired by illness or disability to stay connected to the world.
Computer science gives you the foundation to choose a career in such fields as business, law, medicine, politics, and education. Your computer science background will give you an edge because:
- Employers will see you as being an adaptable and creative problem solver.
- Computers are ubiquitous in nearly all fields and you will be prepared for rapidly-evolving technology.
- You will more easily grasp statistical ideas, be more at home with computer software, and be better equipped to communicate with technically-trained people.
Computer Science Course Catalogue
Computer Science Major + Minor Maps