Academic Information

With proper planning, you may be able to fulfill major, minor or general educations requirements while abroad. First step? Consult your department. Talk to your academic advisor about your plans, as well as your department chairperson. You will need their approval to study off-campus. Know what requirements you will fulfill abroad and what you’ll need to complete upon return in order to graduate.

Quick Links

Transfer of Credits
Two Semesters Abroad
Transfer Students
Residency Requirements for CLA Students
Participating in a Program During Your Final Semester

Academic Policies

Rollins Approved Semester and Summer Programs

The courses you take abroad will appear on your Rollins transcript as either Rollins courses or as transfer credits, depending on the exact course and program—view the specific program’s academic details for exact information about how the credits will appear for each program.  The grades you earn abroad will display on your transcript as letter grades and will be factored into your GPA. Courses must be taken for a grade (with the exception of the London internship).

Rollins Field Study Programs

The courses are taught by Rollins faculty and are considered Rollins courses.  They will appear on your Rollins transcript as letter grades and be factored into your Rollins GPA (unless it is a credit/no credit course).

Non-Rollins Programs

Courses will need to be approved as transfer credits and will not factor into your Rollins GPA. PLEASE NOTE: For all programs, transfer credit is not awarded for coursework not typically offered in a liberal arts college.

CLA Students

All CLA students must complete a Request for Permission to Study Outside the College of Liberal Arts before departure in order to receive credit for courses taken on any program.  You will need to have courses approved by the appropriate department in order to count them towards major or minor requirements.  The same form is used for approvals for General Education Requirements. 

Holt Students 

To apply for any study abroad or field study program, Holt School students must be currently enrolled in a degree program, be matriculated through the initial admission review process (i.e. completed two semesters at Holt), in good academic and college standing (grade point average of 3.0 or above preferred), and must have a good record of personal responsibility (e.g. judicial record)  Holt undergraduate and graduate students must coordinate with advisors in Holt to confirm credit approval and acceptance.  Graduate students may need to make special arrangements if the field study is only being offered for undergraduate credit.

Back to Top

Two Semesters Abroad

Students who wish to spend two semesters abroad on Rollins Approved Programs will be permitted to use Rollins institutional scholarships and grants towards both programs only if one of the two programs is an exchange program.  If both semester programs are not exchange, the student may still participate and earn credits, but Rollins scholarships and institutional aid will not apply to the program costs, though Federal and State Financial Aid will still apply.

Back to Top

Transfer Students

Transfer students may find it challenging to work study abroad into their shorter time at Rollins—rest assured that many transfer students do study abroad, even for a full semester. You will need to plan carefully and work with your academic advisor to be certain that your study abroad experience fits into your course plan and that you are still working towards your anticipated graduation date. Transfer students must give particular consideration to the residency requirements--students must complete at least seventy (70) semester hours in the College. However, Rollins approved off-campus programs do count towards this Residency Requirement. Consider coming to meet with our staff during your first semester at Rollins so that we can help you get started right away on your planning for study abroad.

Back to Top

Residency Requirements for CLA Students

CLA undergraduate students are required to be enrolled full-time in the College of Liberal Arts (excluding Hamilton Holt School courses) during the last two (2) consecutive semesters (excluding summer terms).  Students may choose to participate in a Rollins Approved Program during their second-to-last semester at Rollins since they remain enrolled full-time while participating in one of these programs.  However, if they wish to participate in a non-Rollins program during the second-to-last semester, they must appeal the residency requirement. 

Back to Top

Participating in a Program During Your Final Semester

International Programs strongly recommends that students do NOT study abroad on any semester program during their final semester at Rollins—grades from abroad can be quite delayed which can cause difficulties with graduation; semester programs do not necessarily follow the Rollins College academic calendar and students must plan extremely carefully to be certain all requirements will be met.  However, students may seek special permission to study abroad during the final semester.

Back to Top

Appeals to International Programs Policies

The Office of International Programs has a number of student policies governing application and acceptance; program payments, scholarships, withdrawals and refunds; transfer and approval of grades and credits from abroad; and student conduct for study away and program dismissals. All of these policies for students are published on the website and/or in the written pre-departure materials provided to all outbound study abroad students. Appeals to any Office of International Programs policy must be made in writing to the Director of International Programs. Appeals will be considered on a case-by-case basis and the Director of International Programs may request additional information and/or request an interview with the complainant. All policy appeals must be addressed within one year of the original incident or action that prompts the complaint.

Academic Advising

International Programs is collaborating with academic departments to develop advising sheets that will support students and faculty to plan effectively for study abroad and identify programs or other global opportunities that align well with specific majors and minors.  The first group of these advising sheets are available below.  If your major or minor is not listed, please contact IP or come in to meet with an advisor to discuss program options for your academic program. 

Office of International Programs
Mills Memorial Hall - Main Floor
1000 Holt Ave. – 2759
Winter Park, FL 32789

T. 407.646.2466
F. 407.646.2595

Campus Security 24/7: 407.646.2999

Office hours:
Monday-Friday 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.

Walk-In Advising:
Tuesday-Thursday 12-2 p.m.