Health Care & Insurance

Health Care System in the U.S.

Types of Medical Providers
Rollins College Health Services is available to all full-time Arts & Sciences students.  Health Services provides basic medical care and health education for students.  Health Services is located at 118 West Fairbanks Avenue.  While appointments are preferred, students will be seen as walk-ins.  If you have a medical emergency, please call 911 or Campus Security at x2999 for immediate assistance and transport to a hospital.  If using the college student health insurance policy, students will save money by first consulting the Health Services before going directly to a private doctor.
Private Doctor Office – Many doctors work in their own medical practices, sometimes along with a few other doctors who specialize in the same medical field – general / family practice, dermatology, obstetrics / gynecology, etc.  Most private doctor offices will require payment ahead of treatment, unless proof of medical insurance is provided.  If you are an Arts & Sciences student with the student health insurance policy, you may be referred to a private doctor if the Health Services cannot treat you.  You will save money by first seeking care at the Health Services before going to a private doctor.
ClinicsFlorida Hospital Centra Care and Walgreens Health Care Clinics are walk-in urgent care clinics that provide medical treatment to patients either without primary care doctors or who may be unable to access their doctor for an appointment.  They can treat a variety of ailments and will be less expensive than going to the emergency room for a non-life threatening illness.  They accept many health insurance policies.
Emergency Rooms at Hospitals (ER) should be used for all life-threatening ailments and severe accidents requiring immediate medical attention.  The emergency room is the most expensive of medical providers.  Most health insurance policies will not cover emergency room care unless it was a real emergency.
Hospitals are used for medical treatment for severe medical conditions or complex surgery.  A private doctor office or doctor treating you at a clinic or the ER will determine if admission to a hospital is required. 

Here are the closest hospitals to Rollins:

Florida Hospital

Orlando Regional Medical Center


Health Insurance

Rollins College Student Health Insurance Policy 2013 - 2014

Because health care in the United States is very expensive, Rollins College has a mandatory health insurance policy for all students. All students are automatically enrolled in the college’s student health insurance program. The approximate cost is about $700 per year if you enter in fall term and about $470 if you enter in spring term.  For Rollins graduate and undergraduate students, the policy runs annually from August 15 to August 15 (or from January if you enter in the spring term). If you are planning to enter the U.S. before those dates, you should buy short-term health insurance to cover you until your Rollins policy begins. Please note that the cost of health insurance will be added to your bursar fees and should be paid with your tuition.
Detailed information on the coverage, cost and term of this policy can be found on the Bursar webpage. If you possess comparable insurance coverage under another policy, you may be able to waive the Rollins student health insurance. You must submit a completed waiver form completed by your insurance company’s representative for consideration of the waiver before the deadline of July 31 for fall enrollment and February 1 for spring enrollment.
Like most U.S. insurance plans, treatment of dental or eye care is not covered. If you wear contact lenses or glasses, it is a good idea to bring an extra pair with you and bring a copy of your prescription. We recommend that you take care of needed dental work before you come to the U.S.

You should also plan to purchase health insurance for any family members accompanying you to the U.S. The company that insures Rollins international students can also provide coverage for a spouse and/or children.
All J-1 students and J-2 dependents are required to prove that they have the minimum health insurance as described in the federal immigration regulations (see below). The Rollins College student health insurance policy meets these requirements, which include:
1. Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness

2. At least $10,000 in benefits for medical evacuation (to cover the cost of travel expenses if someone must be sent home because of serious illness or injury)

3. At least $7,500 in benefits for repatriation of remains (to cover the cost of shipping the body of someone who has died back to his or her home country)
A J-1 student may purchase this plan for his or her J-2 dependents, or may choose to purchase coverage for family members from another company. Some J-1 program sponsors will provide health insurance for both the J-1 and the J-2 dependents. Failure to carry health insurance for yourself and your family are grounds for termination from the J-1 program.
Click here for more information about the Rollins Student Health Insurance.