Curricular Practical Training

What is Curricular Practical Training (CPT)?

Curricular Practical Training, or CPT, is referred to by many different names. Whether you call it an internship, working off-campus, or a part-time job, it all refers to the same thing: CPT.

Beware! Not all off-campus employment qualifies for CPT authorization. Read below for more information about the types of employment for which you are eligible for CPT authorization as a Rollins student.

Curricular practical training allows you to work off-campus in a position related to your field of study. Employment under CPT must also be considered “an integral part of an established curriculum.”

   1. An Internship that is an integral part of the liberal arts curriculum. Internships may be for-credit or not-for-credit.

   2. An Internship as required by a particular major or degree program. The International Business major requires students to participate in an internship for college credit. If you are in the 3-2 program(Advanced Management Program – AMP) and entered in Fall 2007 or later, you are required to participate in an internship for credit before the start of your 3rd year.  All Crummer EAMBA students must complete an academic internship.

Who is eligible for curricular practical training?

Eligibility requirements for obtaining authorization from the Office of International Student & Scholar Services are as follows:

   1. You must be fully matriculated into a degree program.

   2. You must be enrolled in a full-time course of study (12 credits for undergraduate students and 9 credits for graduate students).

   3. You must be in lawful F-1 status and have been a full-time student for at least one academic year when applying for CPT.

   4. J-1 visa holder:  Eligibility and authorization are determined by different criteria. The Office of International Student & Scholar Services can provide this information.

How many hours can I work?

While school is in session, you may be authorized to work on a part-time basis (no more than 20 hours per week). During documented school vacations and breaks and during the summer you may be authorized to work on a full-time basis. During the academic year, CPT employment is in addition to your regular full-time course load.

The eligibility requirements and hourly limits for CPT authorizations include both paid and unpaid positions in accordance with Rollins College policy. The following policies apply to receiving college approval for an internship:

   1. Students may not begin any internship until they have met the eligibility requirements for receiving CPT authorization. Students must have completed one academic year of study before beginning any off-campus college-approved work.

   2. Graduate students awarded Graduate Assistantships that include 20 hours of on-campus work are not eligible to take an internship during the semester, paid or unpaid. They are eligible to work a combined 40 hours (on-campus and off-campus, paid and unpaid) during the winter and summer breaks only.

If you work a total of 12 months or more of full-time curricular practical training (CPT) you will forfeit all Optional Practical Training (a benefit of 12 months of full-time work authorization, generally reserved for post-graduation). Part-time curricular practical training is not counted toward this 12-month threshold. Employment of more than 20 hours per week is considered full-time and will be counted by the USCIS in determining your eligibility for Optional Practical Training.

In order to be paid for work you will need a Social Security number.  Review Social Security Number information below and consult with the Office of International Student & Scholar Services for more information.

Please click on your Rollins school below for detailed guidelines for searching for and applying for internships:

Approval Forms for A&S and Holt

After Graduation

F-1 visa students working in an internship position may continue to work with their employer after graduation for an additional 12 months under Optional Practical Training (OPT) as an extension of your F-1 immigration status.  Review OPT information, found on the employment tab, and check with the Office of International Student & Scholar Services at least 3 months prior to your graduation for information on how to apply for OPT.