Form I-94

Obtaining your Arrival-Departure Record (Form I-94)


The U.S. Customs and Border Protection agent at the port of entry will scan your passport to capture the following information to create your arrival record:

Family Name
First Name
Date of Birth
Country of Citizenship
Sex (Male or Female)
Passport Number
Airline and Flight Number (if applicable)
Country Where You Live – Lawful Permanent Residence
City Where You Boarded (if applicable)
City Where Visa was Issued (if applicable)
Date Issued (Day/Mo/Yr) (if applicable)

Upon departure, your passport will be scanned to create your departure record.

After the successful completion of processing the applicant, a CBP officer will stamp the applicant’s passport. The CBP Declaration, used at air and sea ports of entry, may also be stamped by the CBP officer.


It is recommended that you verify and print for your records your Arrival Record (Form I-94) each time that you reenter the U.S.  Your Form I-94 can be obtained at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website.  You will need to have a valid Form I-94 for evidence of your lawful status when you apply for a driver's license, a Social Security Number, and employment.  Therefore, catching any errors early can prove beneficial.


Automatic Revalidation of Visa
For those admitted as academic students or exchange visitors (F-1 or J-1 classifications), if you take a short trip (30 days or less) to Canada, Mexico, or the Adjacent Islands, and your F-1 or J-1 visa has expired, you may resume your visit to the United States and be readmitted for the balance of the time required for you to complete your program.

Both 8 CFR 214.1 and 22 CFR 41.112 contain legal guidance on the procedures for the readmission of a traveler and automatic revalidation of a visa that has expired.

However, because each traveler’s individual circumstances may vary (such as your current status in the United States, foreign destination, and the nationality of the traveler); it is recommended that you contact the International Student Advisor to discuss your travel plans.