Academic Training

J-1 Student Academic Training

Academic Training is authorized so that J-1 students may work in the United States in a position related to your field of study and is integral or critical to your studies at Rollins.  Academic training must be a direct application of your coursework and/or research to a professional position in the student’s field of study.  Your academic advisor or program coordinator must evaluate an academic training request as connected to the student’s major field of study.  Academic training may be on- or off-campus employment.

The A/RO reviews academic training applications very carefully.  The fact that the employment is in a related field is not sufficient for something to qualify as academic training; the work must be integral to the academic program.


When to do Academic Training

Academic training may be pursued while you are studying (pre-completion) or immediately after you have completed your studies (post-completion).  Rollins College policy states that students on exchange programs will be eligible for Academic Training after they have completed one semester of study at Rollins. You must apply for post-completion academic training within 30 days of completing your studies or before your current DS-2019 expires, whichever comes first.  You may work full time during post-completion academic training.


Length of Academic Training

The length of time for which you can be authorized for Academic Training depends on the length of your J-1 status.  Students are eligible for Academic Training for the length of the J-1 program, not to exceed 18 months.  Every month that you are authorized is deducted as a month used, whether the permission is part time, full time, or never used.


Securing employment for Academic Training

Academic Training is employer-specific.  This means that you are required to have received an offer of employment before the A/RO can issue you the authorization.  Career Services can assist you in your job search.


Application requirements

Bring the following documents to the A/RO to receive authorization:


1. Academic Training Employment Recommendation form completed by your Academic Advisor
2. A letter from your prospective employer outlining the job offer.
3. Your DS-2019, I-94 card, and passport.


If your application is approved, the A/RO will issue a work authorization letter.  If an extension of J-1 status is needed, a new DS-2019 will be issued.


Insurance Requirement

As long as you are in J-1 status, the United States government requires that you maintain your health insurance coverage.  This is true even if you are no longer enrolled at Rollins.  It is your responsibility to ensure that your insurance is valid for the duration of your practical training.


International Travel and Academic Training

Travel during this time can be complicated, especially if your J-1 visa has expired.  Students must meet with an advisor to discuss the details of any travel plans.