Academic Policies

With proper planning, you may be able to fulfill major, minor or general educations requirements while abroad.

  • Consult your department: Talk to your academic advisor about your plans, as well as your department chairperson. You will need their approval to study off-campus.
  • The Academic Advising website has several useful tools to help you plan
  • Complete a Major Map
  • Know what requirements you will fulfill abroad and what you’ll need to complete upon return in order to graduate.

Transfer of Credits

  • Rollins Approved Semester and Summer Programs: The courses you take abroad will appear on your Rollins transcript as either Rollins courses or as transfer credits, depending on the exact course and program—view the specific program’s academic details for exact information about how the credits will appear for each program.  The grades you earn abroad will display on your transcript as letter grades and will be factored into your GPA. Courses must be taken for a grade (with the exception of the London internship).
  • Rollins Field Study Programs: The courses are taught by Rollins faculty and are considered Rollins courses.  They will appear on your Rollins transcript as letter grades and be factored into your Rollins GPA (unless it is a credit/no credit course).
  • Non-Rollins Programs: Courses will need to be approved as transfer credits and will not factor into your Rollins GPA. 
  • PLEASE NOTE: For all programs, transfer credit is not awarded for coursework not typically offered in a liberal arts college.

A&S and CPS Students

All A&S and CPS students must complete a Request for Permission to Study Outside the College of Arts and Sciences before departure in order to receive credit for courses taken on any program.  You will need to have courses approved by the appropriate department in order to count them towards major or minor requirements.  The same form is used for approvals for General Education Requirements.  You can download the form at the Student Records website.

Holt Students

  • Eligibility: To apply for any study abroad or field study program, Holt School students must be currently enrolled in a degree program, be matriculated through the initial admission review process (i.e. completed two semesters at Holt), in good academic and college standing (grade point average of 3.0 or above preferred), and must have a good record of personal responsibility (e.g. judicial record)
  • Credit for Field Studies: Holt undergraduate and graduate students must coordinate with advisors in Holt to confirm credit approval and acceptance.  Graduate students may need to make special arrangements if the field study is only being offered for undergraduate credit.
  • Costs for A&S/CPS Field Study: Holt undergraduate and graduate students participating on A&S/CPS field studies pay the same price as A&S/CPS students and are eligible for grant support through International Programs and Hamilton Holt.
  • Costs for Holt Field Study: Holt field studies are typically connected to an on-campus course; The cost of a Holt field study is standard Holt tuition for the relevant number of credits plus a program fee to cover the trip costs.

Two Semesters Abroad

Students who wish to spend two semesters abroad on Rollins Approved Programs will be permitted to use Rollins institutional scholarships and grants towards both programs only if one of the two programs is an exchange program.  If both semester programs are not exchange, the student may still participate and earn credits, but Rollins scholarships and institutional aid will not apply to the program costs, though Federal and State Financial Aid will still apply.

Transfer Students

Transfer students may find it challenging to work study abroad into their shorter time at Rollins—rest assured that many transfer students do study abroad, even for a full semester. You will need to plan carefully and work with your academic advisor to be certain that your study abroad experience fits into your course plan and that you are still working towards your anticipated graduation date. In order to assist with the timing, International Programs can review the GPA from the prior institution if the transfer student does not yet have a Rollins GPA. We may also be able to accept references from faculty at the prior institution—transfer students must seek permission from our office to do this. Transfer students must also give particular consideration to the residency requirements--students must complete at least sixty-four (64) semester hours in the College. However, Rollins approved off-campus programs do count towards this Residency Requirement. Consider coming to meet with our staff during your first semester at Rollins so that we can help you get started right away on your planning for study abroad.

Residency Requirements for A&S and CPS Students

A&S undergraduate students are required to be enrolled full-time in the College of Arts and Sciences (excluding Hamilton Holt School courses) during the last two (2) consecutive semesters (excluding summer terms).  Students may choose to participate in a Rollins Approved Program during their second-to-last semester at Rollins since they remain enrolled full-time while participating in one of these programs.  However, if they wish to participate in a non-Rollins program during the second-to-last semester, they must appeal the residency requirement. 

Participating in a Program During Your Final Semester

International Programs strongly recommends that students do NOT study abroad on any semester program during their final semester at Rollins—grades from abroad can be quite delayed which can cause difficulties with graduation; semester programs do not necessarily follow the Rollins College academic calendar and students must plan extremely carefully to be certain all requirements will be met.  However, students may seek special permission to study abroad during the final semester.

Participating in a Short-Term Program After Your Final Semester

You may only participate in a short-term program if you are still a full-time student.  Students may seek permission to delay their official graduation in order to participate in a short-term program after the final semester.  Students should be aware that doing so can create potential delays associated with final requirements and graduation.