College Year in Athens
College Year in Athens provides students with the resources to achieve a comprehensive knowledge of Greece and the Eastern Mediterranean. It is administered for Rollins by Southwestern University. Even though the program is best suited for students studying the classics, majors in anthropology/ethnography, art history, European studies, history, international relations, literature, philosophy, political science and religious studies are also welcomed. Classes are taught in English and include field trips to historical sites and museums. Students must have the endorsement of visiting assistant professor of Art Robert Vander Poppen.
Location: The College Year in Athens Academic Center is located in the heart of central Athens, next to the Marble Stadium and opposite the National Gardens, with a stunning view of the Acropolis. The Academic Center houses classrooms, the library, the student lounge, the dining hall, the computer lab, an auditorium, laundry facilities, and faculty and administrative offices. The Center is convenient to major historical sites, public transportation, and amenities such as shops and restaurants. Classes take place at the Academic Center as well as on-site both within Athens and on field trips. Student housing is located in residential neighborhoods within walking distance of the Academic Center.
Costs: The program fee is equal to Rollins College tuition and fees, plus room and board, for one semester. For 2013-2014, this is $27,210.
- Includes: Tuition (four or five courses per semester), program administration in US and abroad, housing, one meal a day, study-travel (including entrance fees to sites and museums), International Student Identity Card (ISIC), airport meet-and-assist services, orientation and acculturation activities, use of course materials during the semester, free internet access in the CYA computer labs as well as free wireless access to the internet throughout the Academic Center for laptop users, use of individual mobile telephones (CYA has contracted with PicCell Wireless to provide students with mobile telephones), student support services, transcript, and complete medical and emergency insurance
- Does not include: Airport transfers in the US, Travel/Property insurance, personal expenses, course materials, and independent travel.
- Credit on Student Account: In December for the spring semester and July for the fall semester, students will receive a credit on the Student Account for airfare (average commercial price from Orlando) meals not included in the program, and the visa. This credit will be applied against the balance owed on the account. Students with significant financial aid may end up with a positive balance on the Student Account which can then be requested as a refund. Rollins College does not book flights for this program so students must make arrangements to pay for the airfare themselves.
Estimated Additional Costs Not Included in the Comprehensive Program Fee:
- Airport transfers in the US: Costs will vary
- Travel/Property insurance : Costs will vary
- Personal expenses and course materials: Estimated at $1000
- Souvenirs, entertainment and independent travel: Costs will vary