Who is Eligible for Coverage?

In general, employees (over 1,462 hours per year), a legal spouse, unmarried dependent children or a certified domestic partner and their dependent children are eligible to be covered.  Criteria (such as number of hours worked per year) and age requirements vary with the type of coverage.  For specific eligibility requirements, please see the information provided under each specific benefit program.

For information and guidelines on domestic partner benefits see Domestic Partner Benefits Policy 300.95.

To enroll a domestic partner or partner's dependent children in benefits coverage, you must complete and sign the Rollins College Affidavit of Domestic Partnership and the Declaration of Tax Dependent Status, and submit these forms to the Human Resources Department.  You may access these forms under the Domestic Partner Benefits Policy above.  A new Declaration of Tax Dependent Status is required every calendar year.

When coverage becomes effective

As a new hire, you must enroll within 30 days of your hire date, and coverage and premiums are retroactive to your your hire date.  Voluntary life insurance amounts within the guaranteed issue will also be effective immediately.  All other life coverage will become effective upon approval with the insurance carrier's underwriting guidelines. 

If you enroll, or make changes during a scheduled open enrollment period in February, your coverage elections will generally become effective April 1 of that year.  New coverage for voluntary life insurance over the guaranteed issue and long term care insurance will become effective upon approval with the insurance carrier's underwriting guidelines.

Coverage for dependents will begin on the same day your coverage begins.  However, if you are not actively working or a dependent is confined for medical care or treatment on that date, coverage for you will be delayed until you return to work and coverage for your dependents will be delayed until they are discharged.

Changing coverage during the year

Generally, you are not able to make changes outside your initial new hire enrollment period or annual open enrollment.  However, if you experience a qualifying family status change you are given another 30 day window to make changes to your benefits elections.  Qualifying family status changes include, but are not limited to:

  • marriage or divorce
  • birth, adoption, or death
  • beginning or ending of spouse employment
  • loss of other health coverage
  • change from full-time to part time employment for you or your spouse
  • change in coverage under other employer's cafeteria plan or qualified benefits plan

Should you experience a family status change throughout the year, you must notify Human Resources within thirty (30) days to make changes to your benefits. If you do not make changes within thirty days you must wait until the next open enrollment to make changes. Coverage changes made mid-year, including applicable premiums, will be effective on the date of the change in status (ie. loss or gain of coverage).

To make changes you must provide to Human Resources within thirty (30) days of the status change:

  • Benefits Change Form
  • Documentation detailing your status change and effective date of benefits or loss of benefits (from previous employer or insurance carrier)

Please contact Human Resources at 407-646-2369 or 407-975-6453 for further information.

Premium Payments

Your contributions for health, dental, flexible spending accounts (HCSA and DCSA), and vision care will be withheld from your paycheck on a pre-tax basis.  This means that the amount you pay toward your coverage is deducted from your paycheck before taxes are withheld.  Pre-tax contributions lower the amount of pay on which you are taxed, thus the tax savings can help to offset the cost of your benefits.  If you are interested in electing these benefits on an after-tax basis, please notify Human Resources.  Long Term Care insurance and voluntary life insurance are only offered on an after-tax basis.  The premiums for domestic partners are taxable unless the individual qualifies as a tax dependent of the employee in accordance with IRC Section 152.

For More Information:

Jennifer Addleman
Benefits Administrator


my benefits links