Reporting Sexual Assault

If you believe you have been the victim of sexual assault, you have a number of choices in terms of support, information and remedy.  Those who have experienced sexual misconduct should know that all College employees (Resident Assistants, Peer Mentors, faculty members, staff member, etc), excluding licensed professionals from Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and nursing staff in the Health Center in the course of care or treatment, are obligated by Title IX to report cases of sexual misconduct to the Title IX coordinator.  Students who wish to discuss a situation involving sexual misconduct in complete confidence should notify only Counseling and Psychological Services. Students who wish to report a situation involving sexual misconduct should contact one of the non-confidential resources listed below. The following are options you may choose to pursue and resources you may contact for assistance.



Safety and support are the first considerations.  Go to a safe place.  Whether or not a victim of sexual misconduct decides to report the incident, he or she should seek support immediately. Twenty four hour assistance is available on campus and in the local area (see below for options).  In the case of sexual assault or sexual violence, do everything possible to preserve evidence.  The decision to press charges does not have to be made at this time.  However, preserving evidence will help ensure that this option is available in the future.  Victims should not bathe, shower, douche, brush teeth, or change clothes (if you have changed your clothes, put the original clothing in a paper bag).  The resources listed here are the points of contact as a first response to an incident of sexual misconduct:

Office of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)          

407-628-6340 (weekdays 8:30 – 5 pm)

407-619-2329 (after hours; 24 hour emergency phone number)

A counselor is on call twenty four hours a day for emergency situations.  The counselors are available to assist you in a confidential manner with your medical and emotional needs.  They will assist you in exploring options and providing referrals and resources that are available to you as a victim.  You may contact the number above directly or have someone call for you.  

Campus Safety


Campus Safety personnel are here to help you.  They are available 24 hours a day to assist you.  Campus Safety is NOT a confidential resource.  The officer will provide you with the options available to you as a victim in reporting the incident or he/she can immediately contact a counselor in the Office of Counseling and Psychological Services to assist in exploring options.

Victim Services Center of Orange County                               


The Victim Service Center of Orange County, Inc. provides comprehensive, compassionate, victim-focused services to meet the needs of victims of crime, including sexual violence survivors, who reside in or were victimized in Orange County, Florida.  In addition, they operate the certified Sexual Assault Treatment Center (SATC) for Orange County.  A Victim Advocate and Sexual Assault Nurse Examiner (SANE) are available 24 / 7 to provide comprehensive services to sexual assault survivors up to 120 hours post-victimization.  A SANE will provide medical intervention and forensic evidence collection to both reporting and non-reporting victims.

Immediate Medical Attention

When necessary, seek immediate medical attention at an area hospital and take a full change of clothing, including shoes, for use after a medical examination.  Area hospitals may be required by law or policy to contact law enforcement.  If transportation to a local hospital is needed, a victim should call Campus Safety (407-646-2999) for assistance. Calling for transportation will not result in an investigation unless the victim discloses to Campus Safety that they have been sexually assaulted.

If a person is incapacitated and cannot select one of these options, Campus Safety will call EMS and initiate services.  If you choose to disclose that you have been sexually assaulted to any staff or faculty member (other than staff in Counseling and Psychological Services), they are required by Title IX to report the sexual assault to the Title IX Coordinator.



Counseling and Psychological Services

Students have the opportunity for one-on-one counseling on campus in the Office of Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS).  Confidentiality laws protect the conversations you have with a counselor.  Services are free.  Another option is to seek counseling from a mental health provider off campus.  CAPS can provide community referral and resource information to you.  

Student Health Center

Students may seek medical assistance, Plan B, STD/STI testing, or seek answers to their questions and concerns by visiting the health center.   Confidentiality laws protect the conversations you have with the nursing staff in the course of care or treatment.


When a victim and the accused student participate in the same class(es) and/or reside in the same residence hall, they may request that a fair and immediate way to reassign and/or move one of the persons be decided upon by the Dean of Student Affairs or designee. 

Student Conduct Process

When the accused perpetrator is a Rollins College student, the victim is encouraged to pursue formal college disciplinary charges through the Office of Community Standards and Responsibility.  This disciplinary system is an internal administrative process that can be used to establish violations of The Code of Community Standards. Although there is no time limit on the filing of charges, prompt reporting is likely to result in an equitable resolution.  As with all conduct cases, the finding of responsibility is determined using the preponderance of evidence standard.  College judicial sanctions range from education to suspension and/or expulsion.  The victim and accused will be notified in writing of the outcome of the hearing and both parties have the opportunity to appeal both the finding of responsibility and/or sanctions issued.  

Student Reporting Discrimination/Harassment by a Faculty or Staff

When the accused is a Rollins College staff or faculty member, the victim may file a complaint with the Title IX Coordinator (

Winter Park Police Department

When an individual believes a crime has been committed, it is recommended that charges be filed with local police.  You may report a sexual assault to the police as well as seek internal college support and/or disciplinary action.  Campus Safety is available to arrange an initial contact with the police and, if you wish, a representative of the College will accompany you.  The College has no control over the investigative and legal process that may result when you report a crime to the police, and may not wait until an external investigation is finished before pursuing internal disciplinary processes.  Internal and criminal processes can occur simultaneously.