The Diversity Advisory Council was established in Fall 2008 under the authority of the Office of the Provost of Rollins College, building on work done over the previous decade by the Diversity Task Force and the Diversity Committee. The Diversity Advisory Council reports to the Office of the Provost.
Statement of Purpose
The Diversity Advisory Council seeks to foster and to model a campus environment that is welcoming, safe, and inclusive to all of our administrators, faculty, staff, and students. We view differences (e.g. nationality, race, gender, age, sexual orientation, socioeconomic class, physical ability, learning styles, perspectives, etc.) not as obstacles to be overcome but as rich opportunities for understanding, learning, and growth.
In that light, we make the following ongoing commitments:
- Promote multicultural awareness, knowledge, and skills through campus-wide formal and informal training and development;
- Promote institutional policies and practices at Rollins that invite and reinforce inclusiveness;
- Provide support for marginalized faculty, staff, and students and champion recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students from diverse social groups;
- Provide support for programming that focuses on issues of diversity;
- Serve as advocates and active agents of social and political change consistent with the mission statement of Rollins College;
- Advise the college administration, faculty, staff, and student governance committees, and other campus groups regarding issues of diversity, inclusion, and other related issues.
At Rollins, we value and embrace multiculturalism, diversity and inclusion in our pursuit of academic excellence, global citizenship, and responsible leadership. We have an active Diversity Council and several other diversity related organizations that promote multicultural awareness and inclusiveness, and engage in educational programming, community building, and advocacy.
At Rollins, we view the following principles as fundamental elements of our institutional mission:
- We affirm the value of human diversity because it enriches our intellectual lives and our community.
- We celebrate the open exchange of ideas within a climate of civility and mutual respect.
- We reject all forms of prejudice and discrimination, including those based on sex, disability, race, age, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical characteristics, or any other category protected by federal, state, or local law.
- We take individual and collective responsibility for helping to eliminate bias and discrimination and for increasing our own understanding of these issues throughout the Rollins community.
To contact the Steering Committee to the Diversity Advisory Council, email email@example.com.