Department of Biology
B.A. Michigan State 1974
M.S. University of Washington 1976
Ph.D. University of Washington 1979
Office: Science Village Admin., room 126
Phone: (407) 646-2430
- General Biology
I am trained as a microbiologist and immunologist, but currently my research focus is on improving science education at the college and precollege levels. I served as the Chair of the AP Biology Development committee from 2006-2011. Through this and my own teaching experience, I have become very familiar with the difficulty in engaging students in introductory biology while also providing them with the knowledge and skills necessary to be successful biologists. My current research project focuses on developing and implementing national guidelines for the redesign of introductory college biology. I also experiment with the use of technology in the college classroom and serve as a faculty consultant for an online assessment program produced by Pearson publishing.
Selected Publications and Presentations:
- Gregory E., Ellis J.P., Orenstein, A.N. A proposal for a common minimal topic set in introductory biology courses for majors. Am. Biol. Teacher. 2011:73(1):16-21.
- Gregory E. Creating and Active Learning Environment, Course Redesign Workshop, NCAT, San Diego, CA September 2010.
- Gregory E., Cuellar M. Misconceptions in Biology: Results of the 2009 AP Biology Free Response Questions. NSTA 2010 National Conference on Science Education, Philadelphia, PA, March 2010.
- Gregory, E. How to Enhance Student Learning in AP and College Biology Courses without Impacting Your Workload. NABT Professional Development Conference, Denver, CO, November 2009.
- Gregory E., Nagy R., Vanture H., Multiple Mentoring Models, Foundation for Excellent Schools National Conference, Bolton Landing, NY, November, 2006.
- Gregory, E. Career Preparation in Microbiology – Pathways and Opportunities: Opportunities in Undergraduate Education, ASM Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, June 2006.
- Gregory, E. An Introduction to the Major Histocompatibility Complex in AP Biology 2005-2006 Professional Development Workshop Materials, Special Focus: The Immune System, 2005, The College Board, NY.
- Gregory, E. Doing Immunology in the Laboratory in AP Biology 2005-2006 Professional Development Workshop Materials, Special Focus: The Immune System, 2005, The College Board, NY.