International Study FAQ
Giselda Beaudin

Answers by Giselda Beaudin, Director of International Programs.

Giselda earned her BA in Comparative Literature with French and Mandarin from Brown University and her Masters in English and Creative Writing from Binghamton University. She has studied abroad in China and Quebec; has lived abroad in France and Italy; and has traveled in Europe, Central America, the Middle East and Asia. She was Assistant Director of International Programs at Binghamton University before coming to Rollins College and she has extensive experience working with college and high school students as an advisor, tutor, and instructor.

Q.  What choices are available for international study?

A.  Here at Rollins, we have several different programs offered on every continent except Antarctica. Students may choose to study during the winter break, the summer, during a spring or fall semester or even a full year. There are programs where students travel with a group of other Rollins students, and there are programs where the student will travel alone and will be the only representative from Rollins, possibly the United States. Some programs require the student to speak the native language, and others offer classes in English regardless of the local tongue.

Q.  Which programs are best suited for my son or daughter?

A. Students who need structure, guidance, discipline and encouragement should opt for a classroom-centered program with strong on-site support staff and planned enrichment activities. Students who are already adventurous, independent, resourceful and prepared intellectually and linguistically may choose a direct-enrollment, full-immersion program or an independent internship. Most students fall somewhere between these extremes and will be best served by programs that offer support as well as opportunities for independence. Rollins offers a wide variety of programs which span all of these options.

Q.  When and where should my son or daughter study abroad?

A. Most first-year students interested in traveling overseas find that a field study program the summer before they arrive on campus, the winter break of their first year and/or the summer after their sophomore year is a great time to first consider leaving the country and often opens doors to further study abroad. Determining when to study abroad is a very individualized decision; while many students study abroad during the junior year, students should think carefully about their specific academic needs and goals, and their other commitments on campus (i.e. athletics). While the most popular destination for study abroad has traditionally been Western Europe, students are increasingly realizing the potential that lies in other parts of the globe, and the trend is reversing. The Office of International Programs is now working with academic departments at Rollins to expand their offerings of international programs in areas outside of Western Europe.

Q. Can academic credit be earned while studying abroad?

A. Absolutely! With the exception of a few alternative spring break programs, all of the approved programs through Rollins College are credit-bearing and students can fulfill general education requirements and major/minor requirements during the time abroad as well as earn general credits towards graduation. The specifics of credit transfer will vary by program and should be left between the student and his/her academic advisor, who makes the ultimate decision.

Q. How much will it cost to study abroad and what financial aid is available?

A. For Rollins Approved semester programs students will be billed a flat fee equivalent to Rollins tuition, double room and standard meal plan.  This total amount covers tuition, room, orientation, program activities and excursions, medical and emergency insurance and program administration here at Rollins College and abroad.  In addition, IP issues a credit applied against the amount owed on the student account to cover indirect necessary costs including average round-trip international airfare, and visa costs (if required).  Most of the aid and scholarships students receive from Rollins will transfer directly to the approved study abroad program.  Field Study and Rollins Approved Summer Programs are priced individually, and costs can vary widely as exchange rates and other factors influence the costs on-site.  Each program is different and students must refer to program details to determine exactly what costs are covered.  There is typically limited financial aid available for these programs, but Rollins also offers need-based scholarship funding to offset program costs.

Q. What will the experience be like for my son/daughter? What can he/she expect out of it, both academically and otherwise?

A. Academically, your son/daughter will take any number of classes, possibly in English and possibly in another language. All classes on approved programs will earn some type of academic credit at Rollins, provided a passing grade is awarded. However, the bulk of the knowledge, experience and opportunity will come not from classes but from merely living in another country. Living, understanding and participating in another nation's culture is what will make your son/daughter stand out on applications for jobs, graduate schools and scholarships. Also, expect your son/daughter's language ability to skyrocket, if language is one of the things he/she will be learning. Even if studying in England or Australia, expect the student to return with a different perspective and way of speaking, communicating and thinking.

Click here for more information about International Programs.